Mind Body and Trauma

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Mind Body and Trauma

Post by Mental Fairy »

Harry Potter scar!!
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

We saw 32 patients in our dental clinic yesterday, all walks of life. Emergency care, general dental care and cosmetic care.

In walks a patient who was booked for an assessment from us before we refer him to the local hospital for full mouth clearance, age 35.
Why the clearance? My patient has no single tooth structure left in his mouth. All root stumps due to excessive drug use. When he walked in the clinic I greeted him with respect, a smile and a few words of encouragement. We assessed him in between our other patients, who I noted tried to keep a distance from him when in the waiting area, this got to me a bit. You could see the look of shame and regret all over his face. I talked him through the plans of referral and how impressed I was with him for being six years sober and on the program for recovery. He welled up. He broke down and I took his hand, looked him in the eyes and said ‘I see you, I feel your pain’. The dentist and I gave him a hug and he gave us a very sharp gummy smile, but in 6 months he will have teeth again, a smile and some form of confidence.
As he went to walk out I had six people in the waiting room. All with a look that needs no explanation. My patient turned to leave and I gave him a big hug, he left in tears and the people in the waiting room seemed embarrassed when I said softly “never judge a book by its cover”. Every single patient in that waiting room nodded and started to introduce themselves to each other while they waited. There was a shift in the etha I can’t explain.
I felt grateful to meet this person.
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, thank you for sharing.

Dental health restoration is one of the tippy top best aspects of getting sober. I am super stoked for his dental journey, having been there myself.

Well done for making him feel welcome.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

That was beautiful.

Thank you for posting it.

SD
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Today my friends I can’t explain what’s wrong. I’ve cried a lot, this is not normal for me.
I got home from a run this morning and I cried. I cried in a controlled but uncomfortable manner. Over what? Grief.

I went out and did some jobs and collected some supplies for the boys before they go away on their little holiday next week. I washed the car and went on the hunt for a road bike to purchase. I can feel you all rolling your eyes and asking yourselves why this crazy women is looking to buy a faster bike! I love to bike and my mountain bike is heavy to ride. Looking for more lightweight bike to do some serious biking with. I promise I’ll roll myself in oil and feathers before I get on it. I will slide and possibly fly when or if I come off!

After scrolling through some stuff I just got this wave of grief go through me. I cried for about 30min non stop. It felt very uncomfortable and confusing. The exact same feeling again passed through me about 15min ago.
Then I clicked. I’m a fan of Jackson Galaxy and his you tube channel pops up when he posts a video. Recently it’s been on his very loved cat Caroline who is going through end of life with cancer. He’s been making a diary of his grief.

Grief is a real prick for me. Especially when it involves animals. His grief triggered mine and I literally can’t stop crying. I’m even typing this and tears are streaming down my face. It’s bloody hot as the devils Pooh hole outside and I have my drunken uncle arriving in t-45min for his weekly chat. I really don’t feel like moving let alone talking to him. I have panda eyes, it’s hot and no amount of hugs could fix this feeling of overwhelming grief.

On the plus side, I know it will pass. I know it will be ok after I sleep a bit. But until then I feel silly, emotionally drained and missing people I’ve never had the pleasure to meet.

Not sure about anyone else but I actually miss you all if I’ve not posted or read something from you all after a couple of days. You all individually have made such an impact. Thank you for being there you complete and utter strangers I know rather well! Thank you.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

My drunken uncle came over at 3pm yesterday as he always does.
Last week we gave him a massive box of photos o didn’t want in my house of reasons of not knowing many people in the photos and not wanting to know.

Yesterday he walks in with framed photos of the very ones that have absolutely no relevance in my life, nor do I wish to see. I can’t even begin to explain how angry I got. I wanted to ask why on earth he is doing this but I just couldn’t even be bothered to lift my head or acknowledge him. I’m sure he picked up on it. He was slurring away about his past and our family home back in England. I wanted to teleport myself to a bush somewhere far away and scream.

I could hardly sleep in the heat. 3am all three of us got up and started our day. I went on a run and felt wiped out. Today is a day off for me. Going to get in the garden before the sun comes out. Having weird thunder storms but no rain.

Ordered a cooling mat for Mazie to sleep on, I think I might share it with her.
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, thank you for sharing.

This is a difficult situation with your uncle. You may want to consider what new boundaries might look like.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

I’ve heard from Paul Sheppard. My interview comes out on Feb 1st. Omg I have no idea what I said or in what order!

Thunder storms here, in a heat wave. I’m melting.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Boom
Attachments
IMG_3745.jpeg
IMG_3745.jpeg (156.52 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Ok people, I’ve woken to a day that has hit me from all angles.

4am, fantastic run. Almost …almost ..almost back at elite level running levels. Give me another month and I should be back to where I was pre hand accident!

7am, had a cuppa and made some Kai, food!

8am, bleeding from bowel for absolutely no reason. That’s ok, I understand the disease and will make a note but not panic.

8:45am, got to work. The phone rings, patient is clearly under the influence of something. Abusive, aggressive and threatening. Notes made and government bodies informed of the call. Due to the fact the patient gets $1000.00NZD free dental care a year and has gone over that limit, it means they would have to pay privately for any other work. she was and is unable to afford this and blew her anger out on me. For some reason the call didn’t really affect me like it usually does and I almost wanted to laugh at her outburst. I don’t have time for that sort of aggression. However, underneath all of that anger is a major problem and I wish she would get help.

A patient walked in and must of heard the patient on the phone, she immediately walks out and comes back 20min later holding a beautiful homemade coffee in her hand that she calls “bulletproof”. She added it to me and said that word and i laughed. I took one mouthful and she wasn’t wrong. Omg best coffee ever.

After my coffee fairy is booked in and sorted, in walks three more people, one being my favourite surgeon ever. My jaw dropped as I’ve not seen Dr Falah since Matt’s leg was diagnosed with the tumour. He immediately hugged me and I melted, he always smells so darn good, and handsome for a 55+ year old. There I was standing there in two feet of dribble and booking him in for a clean tomorrow. When he took the tumour our of my boob back in 2015 he stitched it in a way that the scar looked like a happy face on the top of my boob, now the happy face is not so happy as age doesn’t agree with boobs! Now I need to see him again! No one likes a sad boob! At least I still have it I guess! Be grateful Gia.
The day I had surgery on my boob, my dad had come in all dressed in leathers and patches asking how I was, he disrupted the hospital admissions staff so much that they actually went and got someone to talk to the surgeon to make sure he got all the growth. What I found odd was dad never came to see me once out of recovery. He only called every now and again or sent someone to find out how I was. So f*#ed up!

Now I have a rather fast heartbeat and dribble from ogling Dr Falah down my uniform!

What a day, and it’s not even lunchtime.
Let’s see what the afternoon brings.

Return to “PTSD”