Abilify

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
rybigbee

Abilify

Post by rybigbee »

My psychiatrist just added Abilify to my Lexapro and Klonopin regimine after my Lexapro stopped working effectively. Since beginning Abilify I've done a little research and have found the results a little disturbing (have you seen any of those youtube videos?! Ack! Does anyone have any experience with Abilify? Anything i should know? Thanks.
dare i say it

Re: Abilify

Post by dare i say it »

I've taken Abilify. (Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way!) It's been awhile, but I know I didn't have any strong side effects. Maybe a little dry mouth or something. I guess everyone reacts differently though, so it's good to keep an eye out for anything significant, and I would ask my doctor if there was anything in particular I should watch out for when I was starting a new med. Good luck.
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
EliCash

Post by EliCash »

Oh boy, oh boy... Abilify. The main thing to watch out for is a dystonic reaction, it's rare and easily dealt with though.

I was put on Abilify in the hospital, brought up to a high dose over 7 days, then discharged... the night I got home my muscles went crazy, you know that morning stretch where you stick your stomach out and your hands back... my neck and back were stuck in that position. Luckily it's not terribly dangerous and a Benadryl took care of it right away. Obviously one should call their doctor if this happens, not just pop a Benadryl on my word.
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Post by Murphy »

My doc just added Abilify to my Prozac & Wellbutrin XL (Three's company?). I've been having hiccups on and off the past two days. It's listed as a "rare" side effect, but I can't think of any other reason that I'd have hiccups this often...Also, my spit feels kinda muccussy (I don't know how to spell that or if it's even a proper word)...is that normal? Anyone else have this? Wondering how long it will last really.
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
in_media_res

Post by in_media_res »

My doctor suggested Abilify. I'e refused. The possible side effects just seem too dangerous and unacceptable for such limited positive effect. But I'm in a place where I pretty much don't want to have anything to do with any psychiatric meds.
May you find rest in a peaceful heart.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Just started Abilify to supplement my Paxil. The main side effect I've experienced is that it makes me hyper. I can't take it at night, because it messes with my sleep pattern. Not sure if I'll stay on it or not.
Don't let the bastards grind you down
gargoyle13

Post by gargoyle13 »

I've been on Abilify for about 2 months now. The first month's side effects were inner restlessness, shaking, dry mouth, and waking up super early in the morning and not going back to sleep - however, I never feel tired - it's true it does make one a bit hyper - but for me, that's a good thing. I also take effexor which I've been on for about 4 months - it worked for me before but not so good this time - so my pdoc added abilify - I was really scared of weight gain - but haven't had any - i'm on 7.5 per day and 150 for effexor. Oh, and I also take clonazepam for sleep. Now I'm just experiencing hyperness and shaking, I feel like a car that is idling - just a constant vibration of my body. But my mood has definitely improved... although not to a happy place, just not in such a depressed state anymore. anxiety has been helped also. At the beginning there was some constipation - but now it has corrected itself. I like feeling alert all the time - definitely no annoying yawning and sleepiness like with effexor (in the beginning). So, my overall experience has been good so far.

Return to “Medications”