littleraincloud's diary

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Re: littleraincloud's diary

Post by Beany Boo »

Does the retired professor have a boss? One who can give them a nudge about their responsibilities to their former students who are screaming out just to start their careers?
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
littleraincloud
Issues: Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, general mental fuckery
preferred pronoun: she

Post by littleraincloud »

Not a boss, but a coordinator for her academic department. She was the one who gave me Prof Retired's personal email, didn't sound like they'd had any recent contact. Prof Retired has no responsibility to me seeing as she is retired after all and can do what she wants. This is all a stupid distraction so I can avoid working on my writing, the most important part of the app, something I haven't worked on in months by the way, la-di-da. This is all pathetic
I'm responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast!
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

AGH for fuck's sake I'm never going to find a third reference letter and I'm never going to get into one of these fucking programs and I'm going to die!!!
you've got me wondering now. I applied for graduate school after almost 20 years away from school and I honestly can't remember what I did about the recommendations. I don't know that I was able to get anything from a prior professor, so I think I went with a recommendation from a fellow student, my AA sponsor (though I didn't identify him that way), and some third person that I can't remember.

[Side note: I didn't get in, but someone explained that it was probably because the program I was applying to was brand new and they wanted more high-profile students for their first cohort. I also didn't die, even though I felt well and truly smacked down by the experience. So there's that.]
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
littleraincloud

HowDidIGetHere: Recommendation letters are some gatekeeping bullshit. They only accept academic references, i.e. better hope your undergrad professors still like/remember you. After 20 years, as in your case, I don't see how that would work. Because apparently grad students are only important if they're fresh off the presses from undergrad /sarcasm/. I'm sorry that your experience was so negative.

I could get a much more accurate recommendation from my boss, who knows the person that I am now and sees how hard I work, but apparently WORK work is different from academic work. Plebs like me might not understand.
I'm responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast!
oak

Post by oak »

Graduate school admissions, IME, are a dog and pony show, wrapped in mischief, and overflowing with shenanigans.

I remember during GA weekend, the main professor saying to me: "Your reference is one of my favorite people in the world". A moment later he was chuckling about my non-stellar 2.69 undergrad GPA.

A girl I knew, smart and ambitious, didn't get into the program.

So far as I can tell, observing with my own two eyes, is that there are two important criteria to getting admitted:

1. Fill some demographic desire for the cohort. (The opposite may be desired next year.)

2. Be wanted as a GA/TA/RA. This can work wonders, and quickly.

What I'm getting at is that just because graduate school admissions is just a game, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be played well.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
littleraincloud

It is so exhausting having spent 12 years of my life feeling like nothing I do makes me any happier. What's the fucking point.
littleraincloud

By procrastinating on work that I know needs to get done, I'm only making myself more anxious and unhappy........and yet........I keep doing it!! Why why why why why why why do i do this to myself
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

That's the mystery of mental illness. We know what the logical thing to do is, but somehow we keep doing something else.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
littleraincloud

Sometimes I think I'm just not interesting/pretty/good enough to be loved and that it's better for everyone that I'm single anyway. Good. I'll just hole myself up here in my room and never talk to anybody except my fucking racist dumbass mom who's given me bad advice every day of my life out of a projection of her own anxieties, and someday I will become her, a fucking idiot who thinks she's going to become a billionaire through tax cuts and who dates Confederate-flag-humping chicken farmers because they're nice to me for five minutes and apparently that's all it takes to get with me.
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

I'm sorry you're in pain littleraincloud & I enjoy your sense of humor.
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.

Return to “Dear Diary”