Hammock Therapy

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
HammockHead

Hammock Therapy

Post by HammockHead »

My name is Paul. I have dealt with severe depression for as many of my 60 years as I can remember, in the course of which I've developed several coping methods, including Zen meditation and self-compassion. Having lived through the entire genesis of drug development for the disease, I've also lived through all the horror stories associated with Lithium, Melaril, etc., and was finally 'saved' when Prozac came along (I was one of the earliest trial patients). Over the years, the Prozac lost effectiveness and currently I take Cymbalta supplemented with Abilify. Still, depression rears its ugly head two or three times a year, and of course I occasionally 'forget' to refill my perscriptions and think I can do without, until I'm locked in the Darkness again. I have never had ECT, but continue to consider it, even though I realize it is not a permanent solution. Somehow, I hold out the hope that I can someday be permantly free of the disease.

One coping mechanism I'd like to share is the creative use of a hammock as a refuge of sorts during 'long nights of the soul'. Try hanging a hammock in a well-lit, quite place--mine hangs in our breakfast nook, surrounded by windows overlooking the forest in our back yard. If you can get yourself from the bed to the hammock, it's a great place to ride out the emptiness. I've even developed hammock-bound exercises and mediation positions. I also recommend using one of those travel neck pillows, although a good down pillow can also be a great comfort. Cover yourself with an afgan (in the cold months), put something to drink and munch, perhaps a good read, and anything else you might want/need near at hand, and gently rock yourself through the day. Do all this when you're feeling well, in preparation. It doesn't relieve or even shorten the suffering, as far as I can tell, but it definitely makes the best of a bad situation.
[img]
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
[/img]

Hope someone finds this helpfull. If you remember nothing else when the sky falls on you, remember to be compassionate and gentle with yourself. Love the podcast, Paul!

Paul (HammockHead)
camdendayton

Re: Hammock Therapy

Post by camdendayton »

I have a hammock and if I can figure out how to get hocks into a wall that my landlord won't freak out about this would be a great solution for me. *fingers crossed*
Jamous

Post by Jamous »

HammockHead AKA Paul- Hey there!
'Hammock Therapy' sounds awesome. Must be pretty relaxing, especially if you can catch some natural light. Unfortunately, I live in a condo that I'm renting. Definite bummer.

I have struggled with bad depression (among other disorders) for at least 20 yrs, tried tons of meds, and actually went through a series of 14 ECT treatments as sort of a last resort. MY experience is that they were difficult to endure even with being hospitalized at the time. The physical pain afterward was bad for me. There was a point after about 9 treatments that I started feeling my mood lifting. At that moment I was hopeful for continuing progress. Well, that time never came. :( I ended up becoming even more unstable (not contributing that to/blaming the ECTs), was hospitalized again, followed by even greater instability. A major complaint I have is with the memory loss. I'm also having a very difficult time retaining information. I'm not sure if the lack of retention is attributed to the ECTs or not, but if I had to do it all over again- I wouldn't. Some people might have success. My advise is to do your research and get a variety of opinions. I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

Btw- I mention some of my 'issues' and history in my profile. It may or may not give you some interesting insight.

'Hang' in there HammockHead! :lol:
Leif

Post by Leif »

Hello there Hammock Head! I've never thought of using a hammock, thank you for the great idea. There's a perfect space for it in my living room. I hope you enjoy the community and would love to hear more of your advice and thoughts.
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

That sounds wonderful. Like sleeping in a hug.
marathonbar

Post by marathonbar »

Thanks so much for sharing that, Hammock Head. Sometimes it's the simple things that help the most.
I'm ready to live a life of joy.
phantom

Post by phantom »

I love the holistic approach!

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”