Awake at 1am-might as well introduce myself

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
Jules_rules

Awake at 1am-might as well introduce myself

Post by Jules_rules »

Hello all,

I'm new to the podcast, but I wish I could take a few days off from work to catch up on episodes. It's a little after 1am and I've been awake for about half an hour. Tried to go back to sleep, but I know it's pointless to try. I have pretty chronic insomnia, so this isn't anything new.

Basic demographic info: I'm 42, soon to be 43 and not thrilled about it. I'm a single, straight, female. And every birthday reminds me how single and alone I am. Live in Denver and genuinely love living here. It's one of the few sources of real joy in my life. I've been trying so hard to not be so introverted, to push my boundaries. I do volunteer work and it helps and I genuinely love the people I volunteer with but can't seem to make the jump to real friendship. I think I'm too quiet, too much of a downer, even though I have a lot of fun with them. I really try not to be and alcohol helps a little, but it takes so long for people to really get to see the real me (the fiercely loyal, kind and funny person I can be when I get comfortable with someone), that it almost never gets to that point before they stop asking me to join the fun. I recently adopted two cats and although they really bring me a lot of happiness, I kind of feel like I've finally given up and I'm ready to become a cat lady. I occasionally socialize with co-workers but again, can't morph into real friendship because I'm in a slightly supervisory role. In retrospect, most of my long-termish friendships have been me in the supporting role to needy dysfunctional people. But you know, it's something.

I've suffered from (lived with) mild to severe depression for most of my life. I was a somewhat lonely, very bullied kid but I think I would have been depressed even if I wasn't bullied or had even been popular. I thought about death a lot from an early age, not suicide specifically but death in general. I learned very early on to be okay with being alone and it was ingrained in me that I have to be self-reliant, it's bad to ask for help or support. I was really smart but hated school and never wanted to go and never finished homework. The kids made my life miserable, but I don't remember anyone doing anything to help with that. They started sending me to school psychologists in 5th grade but I don't know what it ever accomplished. I dropped out of high school in my senior year after what I realize in retrospect was a major depressive breakdown. I had been at a huge high school and with the exception of a couple of really kind teachers, I was so isolated and yet felt like such a magnet for abuse, I just couldn't cope any more. My grades nosedived and I couldn't turn it around. I went to live with a family friend in a small town in southeastern Colorado and finished high school there. Oddly, moving to such a small school was great for me. I know it's usually the other way around for a lot of bullied kids. I was basically on my own though, I didn't have much adult supervision. In reality, without going into too much detail, I had been relatively on my own since I was a pre-teen. My mom, who I think also had undiagnosed depression, had basically abdicated her duties. We had shelter and food but mom just sort of ran away from home (living with a boyfriend a few blocks away). She paid the bills and we had some contact, but she found my needs too exhausting and escaped the only way she could. My dad was doing his own thing and wasn't very present in my life at that point.

Anyway shortly after high school, I had a specific crisis that finally pushed me to seek therapy, the first time it was under my own steam, not required by school. It was very helpful and I even joined a group. That was the first time I heard the depression diagnosis and I was referred to the psychiatrist and put on Prozac. It made a huge difference but unfortunately, I'm pretty good at getting in my own way, so over the years, I've periodically talked myself out of taking meds, beat myself up for "needing" them. And every time I would do that, my life would spiral downward and it would take years to recover. I would never realize the depression I had been in until I started to climb out of it. I feel like I lost the majority of my 20's in a fog of depression and loneliness. I couldn't go to college, high school had scarred me too severely and I was a lousy student. I didn't realize at that point that I had/have ADD. I was classic, told by so many teachers I had such potential if I could just "buckle down" "pay attention" "stop daydreaming" etc. I've since gone back to school a few different times and I know I'm capable of being successful but usually after one or two successful semesters, I start to lose steam and crap out and just drop out. Now I have huge student loans but no degree. I've done okay workwise, especially not having a degree, but I'm deep in debt. I'm also very overweight. The years of depression and loneliness have manifested in compulsive eating. Food is my self-medication. I don't drink much or use any other drugs, though I've wondered if med marijuana would help.

Fast forward a few years, I found a really good doctor who worked with me to find the right meds combo for me, Wellbutrin and Adderall and it was like a miracle. I still struggle some but I'm slowly getting my head above water. The Adderall exacerbates my insomnia though so I don't take it every day. The meds help me get to a place where I can leave the house and I can exercise and I can get work done. I still have a lot of work to do and the loneliness is really rough. I was in therapy but my therapist is just too far away for me to get to appointments with regularity. I've kind of dropped out, even though she's a good therapist. I may reconnect with her and ask if Skype is an option. I just hate the idea of having to find another therapist closer to my home and having to start all over.

I could go on and on, but I realize I already have ;) This was somewhat cathartic and it's now a little after 2am. If I can fall asleep now, I can get almost 3 hours of sleep before I have to get up. Goodnight!
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Awake at 1am-might as well introduce myself

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Jules_rules, welcome to the forum. I read your post, and I honor the pain and challenges that you communicate. You didn't deserve to be saddles with these challenges. I am glad you found a doctor and medicines that can help you. Asking about Skype for your therapist sounds like a good idea.

Please take care, all the best, would love to see you stick around the forum! Cheers! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Stina
Issues: Avoidant PD, Generalized Anxiety, Persistent Depression, Social Anxiety
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Stina »

Welcome, Jules, from a fellow single straight female who has birthday issues. :-P
~~~ Kristina ~~~
weird and broken
Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden »

Jules - I live in the Denver area too (Highlands Ranch). Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you've gone through so much pain. You sound like a really wonderful person and am glad that you are finding ways to beat back this beast.
TreeHugger

Post by TreeHugger »

Hi Jules.
Welcome! Reading your intro I thought, "hmm...this sounds a lot like me..." I've only recently started paying more attention to the forums, and I find it so helpful to read about people who have similar issues. It makes me feel like less of a freak. I know that sounds bad...I don't mean that people here are freaks! I mean that I've always beat myself up about this insane depression, and told myself that I'm a freak and that no one could possibly understand. But now I realize that NONE of us are freaks...just troubled and sad and struggling to make our way in the world.

I had to laugh a little when I read about your cats. I'm 37, single, insomniac with a weight problem...and people keep telling me I need to get a pet (they usually suggest a cat). Finally this year I gave in and got two rats. Partly because I really wanted them, but also because I figured it would shut people up about me getting a cat. The rats only lived for a few months, because they were already a couple of years old. And I was devastated when they died. It made me truly understand that stereotype of the spinster cat lady... Those rats were my friends. I could play with them and they were really smart, and they gave me a reason to get out of bed every morning. I would hear them in their cage and think, "Better get up, the boys need food." When they were gone, I went through a really dark period where I felt useless and like I had no one to love. When you're single for this long, you start to feel like no one will ever want all of that love you have to offer. It has to get directed somewhere...why not a pet? Good grief.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hope you are able to find some peace. This forum has given me some comfort--I hope it does the same for you.
"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."
--John Muir
Jules_rules

Post by Jules_rules »

Treehugger, I'm so sorry about your rats. I love animals, all animals and I've often thought of having rats as pets. They're very cool and smart.
I got the cats after my 14 year old beagle/lab mix died in June. That was rough. Dogs are really helpful for depression (with the common side-effect of reclusiveness) both in forcing us to get out of the house and to socialize because, people with or without dogs would stop to chat and pet my dog or let our dogs say hi and it made for easy interaction. But not every living situation is practical for having a dog, so this time around for me, cats. I only intended to adopt one, but then I couldn't choose between them. :D
I love them so much, they bring me a lot of joy. I know the passing of a pet is so brutal, but if you have the resources to welcome a new pet into your life, the shelters are full. I don't have to get up to feed the cats, but usually about 4am they start chasing each other around the apt and invariably that involves racing over me in my sleep. It's quite the alarm clock.

It's funny, it's not that I really thought I was alone in how I felt (though I happily think of myself as a freak), but I never met anyone who really owned up to it, not within my circle. I longed for a newly met friend to cop to having trouble remembering to pay bills (ADD) or going to therapy for any reason, or anything resembling less than perfect mental health, not because I wanted them to feel the pain I do, but just so I could be myself a little without them looking down on me. But here at MIHH, both on the podcasts and in the forums, I really see people having the same issues, and who really really get it.

Maybe the anonymity helps us to be more open, but whatever, it helps us to feel less alone and I'm honestly starting to feel a little less stuck.

Cheers
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Jules,

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here. I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see listeners open up on the forum and then get greeted with such warmth by other listeners. So thank you too to Stina, Tyler, Treehugger and of course Manny. If the forum ever had elections Manny would be president.

Big Hug to all of you,

Paul :)
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

Welcome Jules!
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Oh wow, that is quite an introduction. It's insane that your mother did such a thing - I would be willing to bet it wasn't because of you, but because she was too afraid to own up to parenting. It's not your fault.

Also - welcome to the cat lady club :) It's not a bad thing.

You might enjoy this site - www.cuteoverload.com - especially if you love fuzzy cute animals.

Have you ever thought about volunteering for a pet shelter? You could be their dog walker and get the same interactions once again.

Anyway....welcome.
rene1983

Post by rene1983 »

hello! Your post was the very first I read since I just joined the forum. I enjoyed, well didnt actually enjoy reading your difficulties, but felt like i could relate to alot of it. the insomnia, the fog of depression, and the friendship issues--feeling like youre in the "supporting role" of a friendship, I think, really nails it. I think me being in the supportive role is the other friend is in a relationship, eventually has kids, has their own life, and Im just kinda observing and waiting while theyre actually "living" their life. Im just the bystander.

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”