A little less lonely...

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
booknerd
Issues: general anxiety, social anxiety, depression, ADD, dermatillomania
preferred pronoun: she

A little less lonely...

Post by booknerd »

Hey everyone, my name is Jen, I am 32 years old and suffer with general anxiety, social anxiety, depression, ADD and dermatillomania. I am a people pleaser, chronic apologizer, and constantly feel like I have never lived up to my potential. But on the positive side, I have a wonderful husband that is very supportive, even though he does not understand mental illness. He tries very hard and I love him for it. He's very good to me and makes an effort to learn about the things that affect me.

This podcast and everything it offers has made a huge impact on my life already, and I just discovered it 3 weeks ago. The loneliness of my issues can be overwhelming. So when I can't sleep and I need something to keep my head from going to the bad places, I can just pick up my headphones, plug them into my phone and listen for awhile. While listening, I constantly think "Yes! That is me!" and feel better. It's not just me. I have since made a therapy appointment (I am lucky enough to have free mental health services through my insurance, if I can manage to jump through the right hoops) and am optimistic that I can make some kind of progress.

I am hoping to contribute by reading and writing posts to these forums to be a part of the community here. It's hard for me, having social anxiety, but it might be a great way to put myself out there and try something. I fear and crave social interaction. I have a lot of gratitude towards Paul for putting himself out there and creating all this. As dramatic as it sounds, it may just help me to turn my life around so I can love me and stop the destructive behaviors I constantly engage in. So before I read this all back to myself and decided to change a million things because I think I sound like I'm trying too hard, I am going to hit submit and walk away.

Sidenote: I am in the bathroom at work hiding, as I do most days at least once. I hope some can appreciate the overshare.

Sidenote#2: Before posting I noticed you could save a draft and went back correcting my post anyways... at least I tried.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Re: A little less lonely...

Post by Murphy »

Hi Jen! I also have social anxiety and depression, no fun. My husband is the same as yours-- very loving and supportive. He asks a lot of questions, but definitely doesn't totally get it. Sometimes I wish he could understand more, but then I'm glad that at least one of us has it together.
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
booknerd
Issues: general anxiety, social anxiety, depression, ADD, dermatillomania
preferred pronoun: she

Re: A little less lonely...

Post by booknerd »

I can definitely relate to you when you say you wish your husband understood the issues more. It's of course great to have support but it feels so different to really feel understood and know someone really empathizes with you. I am also glad that one of us has it together too!
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”