FrankCashew

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
Frankcashew

FrankCashew

Post by Frankcashew »

I have struggled with depression and anxiety since a very young age. I was a fat kid when there were very few, so I caught hell. I lost a bunch of weight when I was a teen, but I still struggle a lot with it. I have a great life (I am a college professor, am married to a gem, and have two beautiful little girls), but I still struggle a lot with anxiety and frustration. Religion particulary bothers me. I grew up in a mixed faith family (Jewish dad/Catholic mom). They are great people, but I have always felt mixed messages from those two respective faith communities and a lot of rejection when I desired to be integrated into them, especially the Jewish community.
the cheat

Re: FrankCashew

Post by the cheat »

welcome, Frank!

hopefully you'll find a sense of community here. ;)
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Ditto Frank.

And welcome!

I highly recommend a book called "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. It's about spirituality without the religious trappings. Its really profound and I read a passage almost every day.

Paul
:D
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Eternally Learning

Post by Eternally Learning »

Welcome Frank! Have you ever considered a Unitarian Universalist church? If you're looking for a religious community where you are welcomed no matter what your beliefs, I'm told they are the place to go. Never been myself, but it seems like it'd be worth a look as a lot of the members can even be atheist.
The purpose of life is to make it mean something.
Frankcashew

Post by Frankcashew »

Thanks for that warm welcome, everybody. Paul, I have listened to various interviews with Eckhart Tolle, and have been told by other that I have to readhim. Since you also recommended it, I'm going to get it ASAP. I actually like what he has to say on the "pain body" and how we are always focusing on the past (regret) or the future (anxiety). For somebody who is depressed/filled with anxiety, such words really help. It reminds me of the concept of FLOW in psychology in which one is so involved in a task that he/she forgets what else is going on, doesn't keep track of time, etc. For years, however, I always thought I'd be happy AFTER I got to a certain point, but didn't realize that finding peace involved enjoying the process of getting there rather than the product.

EL: I have often thought about that. I have been reading up on Unitariasm lately, and it does look attractive.
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Thanks for that warm welcome, everybody. Paul, I have listened to various interviews with Eckhart Tolle, and have been told by other that I have to readhim. Since you also recommended it, I'm going to get it ASAP.

I hope you like it! :D

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
kuma899

Post by kuma899 »

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but I just joined the forum. I have tried the Unitarian/Universalist church and I can tell you it was a great experience. I was raised in a devoted Lutheran household. However, I found when I was looking for spiritual answers in my adulthood, the Lutherans just weren't cutting it. I explored the Unitarians and really enjoyed it. The services were more like going to spirituality class instead of an organized religious service. No judgments and no expectations. When I feel lonely, I go to a Lutheran church because it makes me feel safe because it is part of my childhood. But when I want to learn something and feel accepted, I go to the Unitarian church.

kuma

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”