what kind of therapy helps with chronic,long term depression

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
frankmiller
Issues: depression,anger,hopelessness
preferred pronoun: he

what kind of therapy helps with chronic,long term depression

Post by frankmiller »

Ive been depressed for 30 years now,since age 17...i used to have some mania and was diagnosed as schitzo -affective manic depressive..but by age 20 i just became totally depressed all the time,and havnt been manic since..ive tried meds on and off since age 19 and nothing has ever worked,or done very little...after many years of illegal drug abuse i am now sober(and tens times as depressed!..god i miss my drugs but i know i can never do them again)..have i broken my brain or something? will i never be ok? ive been trying med after med and nothing works...in a few short years i will have exhausted every known med for depression/etc mental problems..there are not many meds left me to try now..and this is all making me feel it moght be truly hopeless...i always knew deep down inside i might not respond favorably to meds..but i was always holding out hope i might be saved some day..i do yoga,im a vegan,i exercise...wtf?? why do i suffer so much? i have been going to therapists on and off for years,and psychiatrists,doctors whole nine yards,etc.
the depression is so bad it causes me to fail in school,in relationships..it really is fucking up my life..i failed college 4 times..i just got so depressed i couldnt focus or remember very well,and would sink further and further the more i would fail.
i work mininum wage jobs and have totally failed at life even though i got sober.
i feel 2 emotions...depression and anger that my brain hates me. i pray,,nothing helps. if God is real he fucking hates me.
Sarah259
Issues: Depressed, difficulty sleeping-I keep waking up. Grief
preferred pronoun: She

Re: what kind of therapy helps with chronic,long term depres

Post by Sarah259 »

I'm sorry you have had a life long depression. God doesn't hate you.

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”