Episode 453 Julie Peters

Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Episode 453 Julie Peters

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

I want to encourage everyone to listen to ep 453 even if the topic doesn't sound like it's for you. If you listen from the start until 42:00:00 you will get an idea of what it's like to grow up female. Why women sometimes laugh and smile when we're scared. How we are sexualized at an early age by adult men (I was 8 the first time I remember a man leering at me). Why we sometimes want a space away from men and how that doesn't mean we hate or think men are bad. We're still healing.

After that she gets into the lies men have been told and how that keeps them from being whole, happy human beings. She also calls for compassion and understanding rather than crucifying. I feel like I'm learning a lot there about not just writing people off. Accountability but not exiling.

I'm only halfway through, giving myself a break to take it in so far, and finish up later.

If this sounds right for you at this time I hope you'll listen.
Heather
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Episode 453 Julie Peters

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Heather,

Thanks for the insight. The episode is in the on-deck circle for me, right after Zane - Getting Sober.

Sex and sexual attraction is such difficult territory. Such a strong and basic biological thing but the handling of it has ramifications far beyond simple continuation of the species. I sometimes wish it didn't exist for all the trouble its caused.

And women being afraid - I remember hearing someone asking a group of men and women when they'd last been afraid, and the men had to think about it for awhile, but the women could recall situations mere hours or days ago. That's a burden I don't normally think about having to deal with. (But I have sometimes apologized or spoken to women on the street like at night while walking, so as not to startle them).

Maybe an analog to the shame and avoidant feeling I sometimes get when encountering someone on the street when I'm in my moods. No real reason for it, but it comes upon me unbidden.

Regards
SD
Heatherwantspeace

SD, thanks for being open to listening. It means a lot to me. I'm well aware of the lousy deal men get as well. When we all heal things will be so much better!
Men that gently announce they're coming up behind me or cross the street so I don't have are the best!
Heather
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Heather,

Just listened yesterday, and wow! Insights into what girls go thru growing up that I was unaware of.... Crazy to have to deal with leering and comments by men when you're only eight! What the hell?!

Overall I found it to be an uplifting episode. She seems to have a well-balanced take on things, and has learned how to navigate through....

Regards

SD
Heatherwantspeace

Hi SD,
She was really uplifting! I learned so much from her attitude.
The real trauma comes in when that 8 year old goes to an adult to explain how creeped out they felt and are told...well you looked so pretty!
Hope you're having a sunny day where you are.
Heather
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Post by gfyourself »

Great episode.

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”