Episode 42: Rob Delaney

Post discussions as new topics.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Episode 42: Rob Delaney

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Rambling thoughts...

Man, Paul and Rob kept on topic, this was as deep an episode as any, even though the interview was relatively short.

I am envious of Rob Delaney's drive. His drive throughout his life really struck me.

Also, Rob's compassion really struck me.

Glad that Paul is doing better back on the large dose. I am thinking now that there are non-medical things you can do if you are feeling emotionally flat: inspiring movies, volunteering, enjoying nature. Maybe cutting dosages isn't the only answer.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
dare i say it

Re: Episode 42: Rob Delaney

Post by dare i say it »

More rambling thoughts...

Rob has definitely made some BIG changes in his life. Wow, to see someone go from such a deep, dark place to where he is now really made an impression on me. I suppose I should feel inspired by his example, and say something like, "if he can do it, then I can do it too." Unfortunately, my brain seems to repel hopeful thoughts. That's probably a function of my illness. Probably one to work on in my private journal.

His advice about not overdoing it with the depressing books & movies also stood out to me. I've read "Darkness Visible." I'm not sure what to make of that advice. It can be such a breath of fresh air when someone else gives a voice to how I'm feeling. Then again, if something leaves me more depressed after reading or watching it, then maybe there's a better way to feel understood.
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

dare i say it wrote:I suppose I should feel inspired by his example, and say something like, "if he can do it, then I can do it too." Unfortunately, my brain seems to repel hopeful thoughts.
Heh, this is totally my experience too. I always have the thought "don't allow this to demoralize you" "chambered up" and ready for use at all times - so when I celebrate somebody's else's accomplishment, I "short-circuit" my brain trying to use it instead to demoralize me by making me feel completely inadequate in comparison - I quickly think "don't allow this to demoralize you" so I don't go down that lousy path.

Celebrating other people's accomplishments has been one of the biggest gifts I have given myself due to the work I have done to think healthier.
~~~~~~
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

That's good to hear. I'm happy for you. :) (I'm celebrating your accomplishment.)
Xavier Onassis

Post by Xavier Onassis »

Hi everybody

Rob Delaney was amazing. I honestly think I like him more than Bill Hicks even. WOW.
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

Hi,

Yeah, Rob seems like a pretty remarkable guy. I'm not familiar with Bill Hicks. Where might I know him from?
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Bill Hicks is a comedian who you could say is a mixture of the styles of Patton Oswalt, Sam Kinison, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce. Bill Hicks was very dark, very smart, very confrontational, very lyrical, heavy on the social commentary, very raunchy. He was fearless and was legendary for walking entire rooms through sheer force of confrontational will - he certainly was not walking rooms for lack of quality or performance. He died far too early from hard living.
~~~~~~
Elvis7593

Post by Elvis7593 »

I have always wondered if diarrhea and throwing up when trying to brush my teeth was tied to my anxiety and/or depression. I'm new to the podcasts and the forum. Some are so hard to listen to... I'm too empathic, and some are dead on. Just glad to have found a place to listen to those brave enough to share their stories, and realize that my symptoms aren't as crazy as the look on my dr's face when I tell him I can't flipping brush my teeth. Thank you... All of you.
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by inmymind »

I think it was Rob's interview (I want to go back and listen again because I listened to these last three episodes in the same week...ahh my scattered brain). Anyway, I think it was Rob who said something like "and then, I don't even trust my own judgements. I have to ask others, "was he an asshole there? Did I reply appropriately?" " Absolutely halarious because I've done the same thing over my life. I have to run certain scenarios by my therapist because I want to make sure I'm "seeing" things as they are. Little by little, I'm beginning to trust my own gut. I don't put up with anyone else shit, but I try to rebutt them ( association not intended, but its funny....rebutt (definition--mine) to be an "ass" right back at someone). My fucking mind all over the place again. Beautiful. As I was saying, I found myself relating to Rob, so much so I have to go listen again. He was so natural, and focused on what he wanted to say.

Rob, you are doing fine my friend. Thanks for sharing all that.

I think I need to watch myself. Listening to Paul is giving me the urge to say "Go fuck yourself" at the strangest times. I don't really get the urge to say it, but I do hear Paul saying it in my head, and it makes me smile inside. Love the shows!

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”