Second Dr. Zucker episode

Post discussions as new topics.
jeesau

Re: Second Dr. Zucker episode

Post by jeesau »

I agree, RyanN, with you about the intention thing. Of course, we can unintentionally harm other people. About the "sharer" I'm not sure how another person can have perspective about someone else's life experiences, but it's true I didn't agree with that person's approach. If I have unintentionally hurt or offended you with my comments, I apologize.
Son & Air

Post by Son & Air »

Goddamnit...I can't believe I have to say this: It's sexual molestation when an adult actually touches a minor in a sexual way. Period. End of sentence. It is not anything else. And trying to raise hurt feelings or even damaged psyches to the level of those of us who known the shock of having our innocence quite literally ripped away from us so hard and fast that I still, over 15 years later feel the cold hand on my heart...that's offensive.
Must you be kicked right down, ripped from limb
Taught to drown, but told to swim
The way to be, the way to act is
Not to preach what you practice
PeyoteUgly

Post by PeyoteUgly »

although i have no dog in this fight, i think that turning suffering into a competition is always counterproductive.
we all have our own experiences and our own ways of dealing with things.
certain people have had REALLY REALLY FUCKED UP experiences that have changed them.
other people have had BAD, BUT CERTAINLY NOT AS FUCKED UP AS THAT experiences that have changed them.
person 2's suffering is not negated because person 1 suffered more/better/whatever.
nobody in this scenario 'wins' or 'loses', as both people have been changed in very real ways.
compassion, not competition.
Son & Air

Post by Son & Air »

I used to agree with that "not a competition" idea, too. I think I said as much, somewhere around here. But that was before Paul starting making EVERY DAMN EPISODE about his personal problems. If the interview didn't deal with it somewhere, then at least one of the surveys or emails he'd open or close the show with would. Suffering is not a competition, and anyway, Paul won. (I've had to stop listening to every episode...I hope he's gotten better).

That said...it's the vague, floating definitions of "sexual molestation" that was pissing me off today. It's a very specific thing that happened to me, and it shouldn't negate anyone's suffering if I say that if that didn't happen to you, THEN THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU.

Definition, not diminution.
Son & Air

Post by Son & Air »

Ahem...

Me, earlier this week:
Paul started making EVERY DAMN EPISODE about his personal problems. If the interview didn't deal with it somewhere, then at least one of the surveys or emails he'd open or close the show with would. .... (I've had to stop listening to every episode...I hope he's gotten better).
The AV Club, today: (http://www.avclub.com/articles/sklarbro ... bes,83957/)
The Mental Illness Happy Hour #73: Listener Derrick Jackson

Gilmartin’s recent struggle to deal with his manipulative mother comes to bear as Jackson describes living with an erratic, sexualizing mother of his own.
Surprise, surprise.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”