Episode 129: Dr. David Hirohama on Counseling Sexual Pred...

Post discussions as new topics.
LeoGirl22

Re: Episode 129: Dr. David Hirohama on Counseling Sexual Pre

Post by LeoGirl22 »

Being a podcast neophyte, and instantly being drawn to Mental Illness Happy Hour, I thought it must be fate that one of the first few episodes I would listen to would be about Coalinga State Hospital. I too am a Coalinga "survivor", having worked the defense side for the clients (residents) who reside there for just about the same amount of time as Dr. Hirohama. Unfortunately, I lacked Dr. Hirohama's ability to decompress and release through meditation. Rather, the stress and pressure of working in that environment paved the way to my first (and last???) anxiety and panic attack, depression, ascension into therapy, drug therapy and journey into self discovery. I've heard the phrase, "You're not alone" so many times, thanks to your show and this episode, I actually felt the truth in those words for the very first time.

Thank you for contributing to my sanity!
mmandaro

Re: Episode 129: Dr. David Hirohama on Counseling Sexual Pre

Post by mmandaro »

Wow! First off, Thanks for sharing LeoGirl22!

This episode really hit home for me as a survivor of molestation by my grandfather. My grandfather is in prison now for his crimes and vehemently denies that he has ever done anything wrong, despite many who testified against him in court. It really makes me wonder what's going on in his head. Even after the podcast, I'm confused as to whether he is dissociative and truly doesn't know what he's done or knows but doesn't believe it was wrong therefore having to deny it? It's very confusing and makes it hard for victims to get closure. I really appreciate Dr. Hirohama being a guest on the show and would love to hear more on the subject of treating these people. I am a person who processes through full understand and the not knowing is what makes things even harder for me. Great show.

xo

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”