Jamie Franzo

Post discussions as new topics.
Herself

Jamie Franzo

Post by Herself »

PlayRefugee! Love it!

Enjoying Paul's opening more & more every week!
psm45

Re: Jamie Franzo

Post by psm45 »

does anyone have the link to article Paul mentioned at the beginning of the show? The one about mental illness taking years away more than cancer
emma

Post by emma »

I want an embroidered hoop with the quote about the vagina being being a gentle place to fall. Fucking awesome! Love the show. Great episode, I cried when he spoke about seeing his son for the first time in years.
emma

Post by emma »

"There's nothing that is made better on the planet to cushion with more love than a vagina" I think that's it:)
Kanata

Post by Kanata »

Does anyone know anything more about the EMDR therapy Paul said was helping him? It has been suggested to me but I have no real clue if it is a real thing or not.

Love this episode and Paul feeling comfortable enough to bring up God. I'm not a believer but I could really relate and didn't make me turn off at all.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Yeah EMDR is a real thing and it's actually pretty well-regarded. I've heard Dr. Drew Pinsky (whom is a big hero of mine) suggest it for victims of trauma, and I know Jonathan Davis, the guy from Korn, had it and has talked openly about how it worked for him. Davis was a mortician's assistant and developed PTSD from embalming dead children (who wouldn't?) and he also suffered physical and sexual abuse as a child. He's said the EMDR helped him a lot. I think the only reason it's not more commonly discussed is because it's a bit specialized and requires both special equipment and special training, and you don't start with it. You only do it after seeing that particular therapist for a while doing regular talk-based therapies, sometimes a year or more. Can't give an exact endorsement as I've not had it, but my therapist does it, though he said my symptoms are not severe enough that I need it at the moment.

Oops I should probably comment on the episode. I love it! I really dig what Jamie was talking about him being strong in his vulnerability. It was very inspiring hearing a gravely voice like that speak of real deep emotion and hurt. Plus if anyone made fun of him I'm sure he break them in half over his knee.

Says, did they say Jamie is doing voice over work? If not, he should start. Great radio voice.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

I'm also curious to hear Paul's or anyone else's experience with EMDR. I tried one session with my prior therapist a few years ago. She wasn't sure if i was a good candidate because I didn't have one specific incident to focus on, and I have some trouble discerning what I'm feeling (or even thinking) and expressing that. But I had the session, and that night I had the worst nightmare of my entire life. Don't remember much of it, I think it took place in a haunted school, but the terrifying encounter ended with my therapist screaming horrible things at me and scratching my face and breasts off with her bare hands. I woke with several blood-curdling screams and sobbed for hours. I don't say this to dissuade anyone from trying it! In fact, I think it's a good indication that it did actually do SOMETHING, it was able to bring something to the surface. But my therapist though I probably wasn't ready yet to continue with the EMDR.

And I agree with the previous comment about hearing a tough, gravely voice talk about being vulnerable. Very touching. Great episode.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.
babooshka

Post by babooshka »

For anyone else looking for the link to the article Paul was talking about in the beginning of this episode:

"Mental Illness More Malignant Than Melanoma" by Rhona Finkel

There were two links in the article. The CDC one (2nd link) works, but the first did not work for me, and I'm including a link here for those of you interested in the actual provincial report:

http://www.ices.on.ca/webpage.cfm?site_ ... em_id=7718

I thought this was a fitting piece given the recent events in Connecticut. A lot of people are talking about gun control, but there is also the (in my opinion, more important) issue of mental illness.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”