The Silence

Post discussions as new topics.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

The Silence

Post by Cheldoll »

Oh man, how's that for an ominous title?

So anyway, I was listening to another podcast today when the app crashed on my iPhone. The funny thing is that I didn't even realize it for almost ten whole seconds. Why? Because I'd also been re-listening to some episode of The Mental Illness Happy Hour recently.

One remarkable thing Paul has done is turned a few moments of silence into something powerful. Whether it's when he or his interviewee can't quite come up with the right word immediately and need to reevaluate their emotion in order to choose the right one, when he's so shocked by something exceedingly painful or revelatory, or when it's clear that there is nothing to sufficient to say that will heal the wounds of an interviewee or listener whose email/survey he's just read. I hate to criticize him, but in a lot of the earlier episodes he had a bad habit of filling in "awkward silences" during interviews with jokes or other little comments. In later episodes, though, he has done what I believe is an excellent job of shutting up and letting those moments run their course. There are some times where you just are no words. And by putting these times on the air (or on the podcast, I guess) for everyone to listen to, he embraces the surrender to emotion we all need sometimes. It's okay to not know what to say.

Relatedly, there's a great piece of short fiction in the New Yorker called "A Primer for the Punctuation of Heart Disease" by Jonathan Foer that I love. He comes up with a bunch of punctuation marks to convey different things he wishes he was able to with his family, all unspoken. I still tear up a little when I read it because I can relate so much. Here's a quote from it:
[Black Square] The "willed silence mark" signifies an intentional silence, the conversational equivalent of building a wall over which you can't climb, through which you can't see, against which you break the bones of your hands and wrists. I often inflict willed silences upon my mother when she asks about my relationships with girls. Perhaps this is because I never have relationships with girls — only relations. It depresses me to think that I've never had sex with anyone who really loved me. Sometimes I wonder if having sex with a girl who doesn't love me is like felling a tree, alone, in a forest: No one hears about it; it didn't happen.
Anyway, Paul allowing these moments of silence -- though awkward, painful, or unbearable -- to remain is really admirable to me. There was one podcast where he joked about listeners getting fed up with the episode because of a long pause. In my opinion, listeners like that can just go suck a dick. :)
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
RationalMuse

Re: The Silence

Post by RationalMuse »

I love when Craig Ferguson does his awkward silences on the Late Late Show. Silences in the show, for me mean there is honest thinking and considering going with the guest and/or Paul. I know I talk too much and don't let the silences exist in a conversation sit and ferment. That is why I like writing so I can take my time, reread, think about what I read and wrote. I watched Amanda Palmer's TED Talk and connecting and making eye contact with her audience when she was the 8 foot bride street performer was at the core. I like thinking the podcast silences are like making eye contact. It is hard to let silences exist and it is a credit to Paul's interviewing skills, comfort and trust with guests that allow those to exist and a bit of bravery leaving them in and not editing them out later. :dance:
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

Hahaha yes, Craig's awkward silences!

I definitely notice more silences with guests Paul knows well, and that comfort and trust you mention are almost palpable there. I love the idea of podcast silences like making eye contact.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
RSRA
Issues: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

Post by RSRA »

Silence is such a powerful tool in any situation, but particularly when you're talking to someone about their issues. My counselor and I have a pretty good banter going sometimes, but I know that when she's silent, it's because she wants to hear my train of thought...and as a result, I totally spill my guts every time she goes silent.

Paul has seriously become so good at it, and it leaves me wondering after certain shows (and the most recent one is definitely a great example) why he isn't a mental health counselor himself - I'm sure there are many reasons for that, but I have finished many podcasts and said to myself, "man, it's really too bad that Paul isn't in school or working toward licensure to do this professionally. He'd be SO good at it". To me, the mark of a great counselor is their ability to use silence as a tool to get the people across from them to disclose more (I took a counseling skills class as part of my education, a couple of terms ago, and silence is by far the hardest to master, and one that takes continual practice...but it's also the most effective!). But the way he uses silence sometimes makes my heart skip a beat because it makes me wonder what his interviewees are going to come out with!
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

I completely agree with this whole thread. Those silences are so powerful. The fun game I play with myself is that whenever I hear silence on the podcast, I have to figure out if it's an organic silence or if my wi-fi pooped out. Sometimes I choose wrong! :D It ...
When life gives you shit, make shitade.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”