Episode 112 - Social Worker Ray

Post discussions as new topics.
nate

Episode 112 - Social Worker Ray

Post by nate »

Another great episode. I just wanted to let you know, Paul, that all of us appreciate your podcast and doing the dirty work of removing someone from the forum. It could seem like there is nothing positive about it, but you are helping nice people communicate in the forum, and that is a very important thing for us, your listeners. Thanks!
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Re: Episode 112 - Social Worker Ray

Post by Fargin »

Great show altogether, when the interview ended, I instantly thought I'd love to hear more from this Ray guy.

I've moderated a couple of gaming forums and some of those places people get banned left and right, but I've also had to ban people from more intimate communities, where you really get surprised someone would go out of their way to create conflict where there was none.
Herself

Post by Herself »

Ray seemed to be a little insulting toward police. Did I imagine that?
Fargin

Post by Fargin »

I kind of felt he used knucklehead cops kind of the describe the intrusion that the families feel, when they get woken up in the middle of the night by two case workers and two LEOs and their lives has to be investigated.

By the way I noticed the angel harps chiming twice, but the ads were missing.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

This podcast was an interesting look into California's CPS system, do similar agencies in different states work the same? ie Do they have standard operating guidelines from the federal government or is it all state run? I'm Canadian so I have no idea ;) Not that I know anything about my province's laws on the subject either so if anyone from Alberta wants to chime in here go ahead knowledge is power after all.

On a side note, the forum story was such a teaser, what happened? DETAILS!
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Yeah, sorry about the chimes. I've got to make sure that's not in there next time.

The forum thread is Abuse/Violation and subthread "Podcast Helped Me Realize". You can see the post I banned him for, but the mean things he wrote were sent to me via email and I don't intend to share those.

Paul :)
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD

Post by ghughes1980 »

Ok, just read the thread I get it 100% Thanks again for the work you are doing Paul.
Fargin

Post by Fargin »

Paul,

Got no problem with the chimes, to me that's just the sound of you getting paid for your work. I just wondered if you forgot to place an ad in between the chimes.
Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy »

Am I the only one that felt some serious condescending classism?
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

I really like that he was able to refer to older episodes and things Paul's said in the past. It's so awesome when guests do that, because it's a nice reminder that the podcasts -- and by extension, us -- are all interconnected.

The email toward the end of the podcast made me so happy. The way KJ(spelling?) described her bipolar girlfriend: "she has that light in her eye and a love of life that is infectious." I always worry that my boyfriend only sees me as depressed girl he has to take care of and I started to tear up hearing KJ talk about her girlfriend and how her desire to keep her safe stems from love, not pity, which I'm sure is true for everyone who lives with/loves someone with a mental illness.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”