Janet Varney Podcast #1

Post discussions as new topics.
Artmart

Janet Varney Podcast #1

Post by Artmart »

I thought this was very interesting. I got a lot out of it and really like the honesty of both Paul and his guest.
"The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in Heaven.” – Mark Twain
http://comicalcast.com
ether667

Re: Janet Varney Podcast #1

Post by ether667 »

First and foremost, let me just say Congrats to Paul for starting this show, and also a big Thank you! I just began listening today when Mike Schmidt posted a link on his Twitter feed! It's as if you were reading my mind as to what I've been looking for! I'm very much looking forward to listening to this podcast grow and take form.

Perhaps I never did it enough, but I've never had any bad side-effects with marijuana. I don't do it now because a) price, b) legality, and c) dependence on substances. It was amazing to learn that Janet worked at a movie theater, since I did as well! That thing where you rest yourself against the wall in a dark theater is something I did quite often when I was an usher, though I'd panic more about having to do popcorn concession vs. Coffee concession. The upselling we were required to do always felt too controlling and it forced me to be someone I'm not. Like "Oh, for just a quarter more..." No! They made their choice, leave these people alone! :lol:
queencityskeeze

Post by queencityskeeze »

I wasn't sure how I would respond to the podcast, but I was only 10 minutes into the first episode before I started tearing up because of how much I could relate to Janet and Paul.

I've had to give up on getting high for similar reasons. I had a freakout once where I was sure as anything that the guys I was with had laced the weed and were going to kill me. It got to the point where every time I smoked I felt like I was paralyzed. I guess it's too hard for me to lose control and get out of my own head, even to relax.
ether667

Post by ether667 »

I wasn't sure how I would respond to the podcast, but I was only 10 minutes into the first episode before I started tearing up because of how much I could relate to Janet and Paul.

I've had to give up on getting high for similar reasons. I had a freakout once where I was sure as anything that the guys I was with had laced the weed and were going to kill me. It got to the point where every time I smoked I felt like I was paralyzed. I guess it's too hard for me to lose control and get out of my own head, even to relax.
Greetings Queencityskeeze!

I hesitated for a moment myself before listening as well, though very glad I subscribed! Now this podcast is the one I look forward to most every week!

From my experience, weed just made me more paranoid over time so I quit pretty early on. (Perhaps some of it was indeed laced with angel dust or something, since I hallucinated once after smoking) I too have control issues, a bit of the OCD. It takes quite a bit of time to relax and accept things as they are without trying to control everything/everyone.
CallSignKay

Post by CallSignKay »

It was amazing to learn that Janet worked at a movie theater, since I did as well! That thing where you rest yourself against the wall in a dark theater is something I did quite often when I was an usher, though I'd panic more about having to do popcorn concession vs. Coffee concession. The upselling we were required to do always felt too controlling and it forced me to be someone I'm not. Like "Oh, for just a quarter more..." No! They made their choice, leave these people alone!
I felt the same way! They just paid how much for movie tickets for their whole family, and you really want me to push them to buy a combo? No. Thank goodness the theaters I worked for were very laid-back and not all about the upsell.

And if you liked Janet, I highly recommend her episodes of Rifftrax. The ones she did for Dirty Dancing and Lost Boys are hilarious! Someday, I hope to see San Francisco Sketchfest in person after having heard so much about it from other comedians.
Airyesmad

Post by Airyesmad »

In response to referring to videogame play as an unhealthy pleasure, I just wanted to share this.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgoniga ... 5.facebook

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”