Homemade Hummus Mmmm....

snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Homemade Hummus Mmmm....

Post by snoringdog »

I've become addicted to homemade hummus!
Easy to make, and quite satisfying.

Dip in with "real" Pita bread, baby carrots, cauliflower, celery, small peppers, etc

Best part - Cleanup used to be quite tedious, and and de-motivating, but I found that I can just cover the food processor base with a plate and keep it in the fridge. When it gets low, (doesn't take long), I can make/mix a second batch right in. At the end of that round I'll disassemble and clean things.

If anyone's interested, I can post the recipe.

Regards

SD
oak

Re: Homemade Hummus Mmmm....

Post by oak »

Please do!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Homemade Hummus Mmmm....

Post by snoringdog »

OK!

2 Cans of Chick Peas (Garbanzos) 16oz or so each
4~5 cloves of garlic, quartered
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (equals 1 squeezed lemon)
3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste, don't add too much)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup tahini (Sesame paste) (equals 6~8 tablespoons)
1/4 ~ 1/2 cup boiling water or the drained juice.

Drain the chickpeas, and save the liquid. (I use it instead of the boiling water)

In the food processor, combine the drained chick peas, the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt & pepper.

Heat the chickpea juice to very hot. (I just put it in the microwave. Actual boil not necessary)

Start to blend, and slowly add the hot juice a bit at a time till the mixture is creamy, or as you like it. (If you add too much, it'll thicken after a day in the fridge).

You can use as a dip right away, or chill it.
Garnish with olives, hot pepper flakes, hot peppers, parsley, or a small pool of olive oil.

The amount of garlic can be adjusted to taste - And note that fresh parsley is magic, and chewing some will cure garlic breath!

If the hummus becomes thick after a day, just blend it again, and add more of the heated juice. (It's also nice to sip on the warm remainder, like a vegetable broth).

Return to “Nutrition”