Nortriptyline

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
cyanidebreathmint

Nortriptyline

Post by cyanidebreathmint »

I was prescribed this for migraines. It's a tricyclic anti depressant. Anyone have any experience with it? I'm scared of it.

Gracias!
Colonialpunk

Re: Nortriptyline

Post by Colonialpunk »

Hello,

I was prescribed Nortriptyline for a time when I was having migraines. It is an older antidepressant, but usually the dose they give you for migraines is a small fraction of what would normally be used for its antidepressant qualities. I know that because I also have bipolar disorder, so I am generally not allowed to take antidepressants (they have a tendency to worsen my condition).

Personally, I didn't have any negative effects from that medication, but I stopped taking it (with the consent of my neurologist) after a time when we decided it was not making a significant difference for my migraines.

I would say if you are experiencing severe pain with your migraines, it might be worth trying (because who knows, it could help decrease the amount of pain you experience!). I know it is a little scary, but like I said... it is a tiny fraction of what would normally be used for something like depression usually, and you'll never know unless you try.

Good luck!
cyanidebreathmint

Thanks! I complained about it, citing that I was afraid I would gain weight from it, so she put me on something else called Propranolol, which I wasn't afraid of- for whatever reason. So I have been taking this. I have managed to have headaches on it, and even one migrain, but the things don't get as intense and peak as high on it. So, it's worth it, I guess. Propranolol doubles as an anti anxiety/panic med and a heart med. I dunno why the migraine meds all are doubles for something else.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Glad you are taking charge of your medication, cyanidebreathmint, and not just passively letting the doctors do to you what they will. Please take care, always great to hear from you, you give great help all over this forum! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
cyanidebreathmint

Thanks, manuelmoe. :) I'm glad to come back when I can and glad to hear from everyone here.

Return to “Medications”