Misophonia

ohtheprofanity
Issues: Anxiety, depression, misophonia, eating disorder (anorexia, purging subtype)
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Misophonia

Post by ohtheprofanity »

I watched the debates last night. From a misophonia standpoint, it was downright unbearable at times.

I won't go into what I thought from a non-misophonia standpoint because this isn't the appropriate thread for that.
everyonecanbuzzoff
Issues: misophonia!

Post by everyonecanbuzzoff »

Misophonia is the biggest issue I have getting through the day. I have struggled with it my entire life. I remember being 5 or 6 and yelling at my brother because he wouldn't slow down enough to stop slurping and smacking his cereal (he would take 4 spoonfuls at a time THEN CHEW). In high school I started feeling more aggressive toward "noise makers." I couldn't focus in classes because I was so focused on imagining smashing my desk over any gum smacker's head just to make the terrible squishing sound stop. No one in my family understands what I mean when I ask them to please chew with their mouths closed, not that I'd actually stop hearing the sound of them chewing. In the past few years, I've been getting a little more comfortable with telling people I'm close with when they are bothering me, and they tend to be understanding, but typically I just realize that no one is cognizant of what they're doing. The worst thing is when I tell someone new about my issue and they jokingly say "oh you mean like this??" and then obnoxiously mimics the trigger sounds I've described. One time I got so frustrated that I mindlessly slapped a coworker in the face because she truly saw my pain as a joking matter. After it happened, I was mortified and hoped she wouldn't file some work harassment claim against me (she didn't). I often even have a hard time listening to podcasts and have to resist the temptation of throwing my phone across the room every time someone licks their lips, swallows, or simply breathes too heavily. There are many times I can't make it through an episode. There are many sounds that bother me, but eating and gum smacking are my worst triggers as they do not have a clear end point and I'm completely out of control in the situation. When possible, I try to ensure that I have music playing when dining alone or with friends or family. I've met a lot of people who say they have the same problem but then I always realize my case is more severe and that they're not as self aware as they think they are. I have recently made a friend who struggles with it just as much as I do and it is so therapeutic for both of us to be able to angrily vent to one another when we're feeling triggered. Don't know if this helps anyone else, but it was nice for me to vent.
ohtheprofanity
Issues: Anxiety, depression, misophonia, eating disorder (anorexia, purging subtype)

Post by ohtheprofanity »

everyonecanbuzzoff (love the username, BTW) — I can relate to so much of what you said, ESPECIALLY about how unconscious people are of their behavior. They have no idea that chewing gum, clearing their throats constantly, or whatever it is, drives people like us to the point of insanity. But why would they? They aren't going through what we're going through when we hear a triggering sound. That's one of the biggest issues I've had with misophonia: Trying to relate it to others so they understand. It isn't easy. I often feel very alone with this condition IRL. One thing that has helped is that my husband, although he doesn't fully understand the condition, does his best to accommodate me. We eat dinner with the TV on so I won't hear chewing sounds, for instance.

I'm glad you have a friend who understands what you're going through, everyonecanbuzzoff. Feel free to vent here anytime, too. :)
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

One of my biggest fears is that I'm unconsciously making all the same noises that make my head explode when other people make them. Like, sometimes I'll be eating something and bite down too hard, and my teeth will click together accidentally. There's the discomfort of the direct experience, of course, but there's also this instantaneous anxiety about whether someone else might have heard it and had the same reaction I would have if I heard someone else do it.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
NeonFirefly
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Love Addiction, possible autism? I don't know.
preferred pronoun: She

Post by NeonFirefly »

I am so glad for everyone's responses. I thought I was just being nitpicky or irritable. But I've found that I get these flash feelings of anger every time I hear someone chewing, especially gum. I once had a job where my cubiclemate kept chomping on salads, and it was borderline unbearable. I feel especially bad, however when people I care about chew gum and I hate that I have to tell them to "please stop". Does anyone know of any coping mechanism?s
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Misophonia - Haiku

Post by snoringdog »

Paul wrote a wonderful Haiku about this.
Episode 609, after the Misophonia survey that starts at minute 15:00 -

Your mouth a rifle.
Your chewing gum, the bullets.
I'm slain by Dentyne.

Love it.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Posting this here, as well as on the Episode 317 thread.

---------------------
Just came across this documentary and website.

I've watched the trailer and read a few of the emails. Seeing this is definitely on my to-do list.

http://www.quietpleasefilm.com/
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you for the recommendation, SnoringDog!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Thank you, I saw the trailer and it makes so much sense.

The dental drill brought me comfort in my previous work. Yet the click of a gate closing gives me a flight response.

I work in silence in my office at work, yet listen to podcasts in my ears when not working to drown out the world around me. In a way it’s my way of being invisible. It’s my way of saying to the people around me, leave me alone I’m learning.

This could be why I also run at odd hours as cars driving past make me nervous and anxious.

Tv on in another room to loud makes me sleep with my head under the pillow.

As a child I learnt the sound of my grandads Toyota van so well I would run to the door awaiting an embrace before he even turned the corner. I now have the same ability with Joes Ute, instead of waiting for embrace I retract from it as much as possible.

The count of a cat our brings comfort, a dog barking scares me.

A dripping tap will send me into rage with a tap. Yet a flowing river brings me comfort.

Gosh this is new to me.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

this is fascinating to hear about, SnoringDog and Mental Fairy
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Misophonia”