No entries?

Issues: anxiety, depression, childhood sexual trauma, addiction, insomnia
preferred pronoun: she

No entries?

Post by 9999 »

I am curious why there are no entries here. I have not been officially diagnosed as Schizoid, but I had a past therapist bring up that I show many of the symptoms. I am hoping to connect with some people who have been diagnosed, or believe they are as well.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: No entries?

Post by brownblob »

Paul just recently added this category. I don't think it is that common of a diagnosis and schizoid tend not to be people that are reaching out to others for help. I was diagnosed as schizoid during a hospitalization when I was younger, but I don't know if I actually am schizoid. I meet the criteria, but I read somewhere that they are supposed to lack empathy and I definitely have empathy. I am a loner with only one close relationship outside of my family. I don't feel like I have the emotional range of a normal person. I have the flat affect and detatchment. But I also suffer from depression, so I don't know if I'm really schizoid or if this is just the depression. Anyway, if you have any thoughts or questions about schizoid PD feel free to post.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Iskandur

Post by Iskandur »

I was recently diagnosed as Schizoid and was surprised when this sub-forum showed up shortly after (or before, I'm not here that often). I contemplated posting, but I suspect there will be little traffic due to the nature of the symptoms of the schizoid personality. The primary indicators seem to consist of an indifference to group activity, a lack of interest in praise/criticism/interaction, and a preference for solitary activity. This seems like the perfect storm of symptoms to create someone who lurks the forum but has little inclination to contribute. I quite often consider filling out one of the questionnaires, but ultimately decide, "Eh, why bother."

I enjoy the podcast, but from my schizoid perspective I'm constantly thinking that most everyone's problems seem to stem from their need to be heard/validated by people outside themselves and if they could just let that go then they would be in a much better space. I just finished the podcast with Dr Laura Dabney and I found it interesting but was bothered by the constant harping on emotions and sharing; all that just doesn't mean anything to me. It's pointless complication of things that don't ultimately matter.
Kismet
Issues: Schizoid PD, depression, anxiety, dissociative disorder
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Kismet »

I have schizoid and have posted in other sections before, but have not seen other people with schizoid PD on here before you I don't think. I definItaly have empathy too, I describe myself as a loner and happy to be that way. I don't have any friends and it doesn't bother me other than when my car breaks down or something and I see the benefit of having someone to rely on. I never really have had any close friends growing up and this really didn't don on me until I was an adult looking back at my life, again, I prefer to be alone. I had children with a friend, and he decided to take off years ago. I love them very much and feel I did give them the emotion and touch they needed as children but was never lovey dovey touchy with them if you know what I mean. I am definitely super secretive with my life and even my family, kids, etc don't know anything about me, AT ALL. I just don't see the need to open up to people, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life or being unhealthy like a therapist would say. I come on this forum, and support groups online sometimes for chronic illness (I have health issues) when I want to connect with others and this fulfills me. I also tend to speak and think logically, so like you when I heard that recent podcast when the dr was all about getting emotions out I couldn't relate. However, it doesn't mean I'm not empathetic and don't try to cheer people up when they seem to need it on the site. I guess we're a weird lot! I think the moral of this rambling story is the reason there is only now a schizoid section is because we're so private about our lives, and I know for me I only rarely feel the need to get online and make contact, but we're out here! :D
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

Interesting thread! When I was going through the medical screening in order to sell my plasma, the person screening me (Camilo) saw that I was on buspirone & asked me if I was schizoid. I said no. I didn't know schizoid was a distinct condition--I thought it was another term for schizophrenic.
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.

Return to “Schizoid Personality Disorder”