Waking up every night at 3 AM

usually confused
Issues: Depression, Trauma, Alcoholism, Compulsive Eating, Possible Covert Incest?
preferred pronoun: she

Waking up every night at 3 AM

Post by usually confused »

I've been waking up at 3 am every night for the past week or so and have trouble falling back asleep. At that hour my tired brain thinks I must be going through an exorcism-of-emily-rose type situation (3 am is "the witching hour"). Upon further googling during waking hours I found a Traditional Chinese Medicine claim that the cause is jacked up adrenaline. This actually makes sense, since I'm stressed, but...

I've been given a bunch of tools to deal with stress: no screens before bed, meditate, stay away from caffeine and nicotine, pray... I use these tools, except for the nicotine part - I've been vaping because it feels like that's the one indulgence I have left (I realize that's a futile attitude).

Does anybody else experience this? What, if anything, has helped?
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Waking up every night at 3 AM

Post by brownblob »

I go through it at times. My problem is that my mind will start racing/ feeling anxiety. It is a sad thing to admit but I don't like being left in a quiet room with my brain. I have to have a radio or TV or something on to distract myself from my thoughts so I can sleep. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I know it is the exact opposite of what an expert would tell you, but I do what I have to do.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Waking up every night at 3 AM

Post by snoringdog »

Not every night for me, but several times a month for sure.

If not due to eating something a little too late, or some change in routine, it's always from anxiety.

It's the worst thing and can feel almost terrifying, but if my mind is racing or I start worrying about chores and obligations, I've found that turning on a small light and writing things down gets them out of my brain for awhile and then I can go to sleep.

(Used to turn on the radio to the BBC, but while interesting, found that that could add to the anxiety too).

Haven't tried music at night, but it certainly helps during the waking hours (See the Music thread and contribute if you have something! :violin: )

Cheers!

Return to “Sleep Issues”