AA Problems

Discussions on addictions and their relationship to depression. Post as new topic.
dws
Issues: Addiction
Depression
Overeating
Shame
preferred pronoun: he

AA Problems

Post by dws »

I have been trying to stop drinking on my own and failing at it. I want help and I want support but I do not want to be in AA. When I go to meetings I feel weak and pathetic--I don't want to be one of those people: repeating clichés, letting AA take over their lives. (Don't worry, I may scorn these fine folks but I don't like myself much either.)

I do not believe in God, coincidence, or miracles. This ends up being quite an impediment in committing to a 12-step program. The nature of one's Higher Power is somewhat customizable but if you stray too far from a traditional definition of God, some of the steps don't make any sense. For example, the 2nd Step:
Came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
If you are unable to believe in a Higher Power that is conscious and active in the universe, you cannot believe in one which is able to remove desires and defects, to grant serenity, etc.

The idea that you must be desperate and willing to "go to any lengths" for help is perverse. It is as if you must be prostrate and without any power whatsoever to be eligible for the program. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, but you are told over and over again that if you don't find God and submit, the program won't work.

Surely there must be a way for me to benefit from AA without having to be desperate and at rock bottom, going so far as to change a central part of my understanding of the universe in exchange for a shot at sobriety?!

Has anyone here been able to successfully grapple with these problems?
oak

Re: AA Problems

Post by oak »

Hey! Thanks for posting. I am really glad you are using your words.

(While I admire AA and the many fine people in it, and honor how many people it keeps sober, it is not for me. I have 7.75 years sober/straightedge, so I won't be singing from the AA hymnal, and certainly can't/won't speak for the recovery movement. Though I was in Debtors Anonymous ten years ago, and loved it. Since then the disease model just isn't quite right for me, though it keeps many people alive today. Take what I say with a grain of salt.)

Basically, as I understand it, there are so only so many ways people get sober in the real world. This is from my own observations in the real world.

1. AA/disease model

2. Religious experience

3. Sick and tired of being sick and tired

People can get sober quick, or slow. YMMV.

May I playfully, kindly challenge you? :)

When you say "those people", do you mean those sober people? Those sober, laughing because of joy and crying at one another's struggles? The sober people who have a safe place to go, and many people they can call 24/7/365? Those people who care enough to set up a meeting space, welcome unloveable people, and try to improve themselves?

If you actually look at a bunch of AA people getting together, they seem to be having a ball. Whatever going on there is much preferable, for me, than listening to a bunch of drunks at a bar.

A little tough love for you. Offered kindly.

You don't believe in God? Good for you! No one cares.

I say both of those sincerely, without irony. I am glad you have found a cosmic heuristic that works for you. At the same time your sincere lack of interest in God etc will not cause anyone else to start drinking again. You must abide by the dictates of your conscience, and give the AA folks space to enjoy their God, slogans, and miracles. (Because remember, they're sober. They're doing good.)

Regarding what you wrote here:

"If you are unable to believe in a Higher Power that is conscious and active in the universe, you cannot believe in one which is able to remove desires and defects, to grant serenity, etc."

You posit an if/then statement which is pretty sweeping and definitive. If it is true or not, I am too exhausted right now to weigh in, but such a sweeping generalization may or may not serve you well. I am not saying to not believe that, but to be careful of the power of such categorical statements.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

Find a friendly AA person, and invite them out to lunch. Warn them, kindly, that you are going to throw every doubt and anger about AA at them. Then promise, once you're done, to listen intently as the AA person responds. Let them talk for as long as they like.

Get it all out, man. Get real.

Wrapping up a final thread from above:

Sober people are real jerks. We're sanctimonious, imperious, and dogmatic. They call active alcoholics "drunks" and mock "typical drunk behavior": getting into fights, freezing to death in the snow, starting fires.

We are also doing what you say you want to do: not drinking.

Take the folks at Celebrate Recovery: not only do they have a Higher Power, they only have one, and it is Jesus. That's it. That's a lot of baggage there. But I challenge you, I really do, to go to a Celebrate Recovery meeting, or better yet five of them, and see if you've seen such a happy, struggling, real bunch.

No AA person, no Celebrate Recovery person, or no straightedge person is going to pity or coddle you. No one is going back to drinking to satisfy your whims. None.

But

Many an AA guy, Celebrate Recovery, and straightedge person will stand by you, literally, if it would help keep you from drinking, if you wanted to stop.

Along with being sanctimonious, we are also long-winded, as you can see, so I'll wrap up with a story.

I am obligated to be at work at 9 am M-F.

My friend, who lives across the street, is an alcoholic, and if he wanted to get sober, I would stand by him, holding his hand, until the last moment of when I could leave to arrive at work on time. I would skip breakfast, showering, and shaving. I'd drive directly back to comfort him. I wouldn't watch TV, take excess time to eat, or waste time on the Internet. I would do anything to keep him from drinking.

Actually, what I wrote in the previous paragraph is not totally true. I would have done any of those things until six weeks ago. My friend died of alcoholism. He is dead at 40. So much promise, gone. I see his mother and she is a shell of herself. She gets to her dead son's sober-ass friend (me) drive to work each day. What must be going through her mind?

Does AA have lots of problems, and thorny/problematic issues? Yes. I ask you: what would she give to have had her son go to AA and take it seriously.

I'm not saying you are about to die of alcoholism. I am saying that alcohol plays for keeps, and there are real consequences.

I hope you'll forgive my bluntness. I am very T of HALT, and I am also sick and tired of polite and euphemistic talk hurrying people to an early grave.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
dws
Issues: Addiction
Depression
Overeating
Shame
preferred pronoun: he

Post by dws »

When you say "those people", do you mean those sober people? Those sober, laughing because of joy and crying at one another's struggles? The sober people who have a safe place to go, and many people they can call 24/7/365? Those people who care enough to set up a meeting space, welcome unloveable people, and try to improve themselves?
You're right. It was a shitty thing to say.
You don't believe in God? Good for you! No one cares.
I don't expect anyone to. I only brought it up because it is the main obstacle I am dealing with right now.

AA's effectiveness in enabling a person's sobriety or happiness is irrelevant--you should believe something because you think it is true, not because it makes you happier or healthier.

I like your idea of finding an old-timer and asking for some real discussion. I'm not angry at AA and I would love for it to be an option.

Thanks!
oak

Post by oak »

Look at you, dws, using your words like a champ! You're on your way. If you keep using your words long enough, you'll make it.

A few thoughts, if I may. (And don't take anything I say as truth: weigh it against what you observe yourself.)

"You're right. It was a shitty thing to say."

Honestly I am not sure it was a shitty thing to say, at all. It was honest. And honesty is a big step up for a typical drunk. You said it, no one drank over it, and now we have someplace to start. Awesome! We're a little bit further than when we started.

And what is the standard for something being "shitty"? The typical wasteful, stupid, deadly, dangerous shenanigans of a typical drunk are much worse in practice.

If you're being honest and real, we can deal with words. Sometimes hurt can be healed by talking.

Good for you: go talk to an AA guy. I totally encourage you to go to a Celebrate Recovery meeting. It is really something.

You've already managed to listen to one sober guy (ie me, though like I said above you shouldn't trust that I am sober just because I say I am; weigh the evidence), so you're already on your way.

If you're mad or annoyed with AA, that is a really good sign. You care enough to take a stand. It is the apathetic folks who face such dire destinies. Very sad.

I'll close with the best advice I ever heard about getting sober:

Instead of picking up a drink, pick up a phone and call someone. Keep calling until you find someone who cares about you and your situation.

Here is what you do, right now. Seriously. Put the following number into your phone: (212) 647-1680

That is the NY intergroup. Try them, or 211, 24/7. Call Celebrate Recovery at 800.278.1848. They'll talk to you. 24/7, dude.

Pick up the phone instead of a drink.

And 24/7/365 you can pick up a computer mouse and pm me here. I can't answer right away (sober people have a whole other set of problems that take alot of time), but I'll get back to you.

There is nothing out there worth drinking over.

If drinking was going to fix anything, it would have worked by now.

Hang in there.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hi dws,
Oak has a lot of good ideas. I just want to add that there's also the non-religious Secular Organizations for Sobriety, with meetings listed at http://sossobriety.org/home.html. Also Refuge Recovery, http://www.refugerecovery.org/meeting-listings/ Refuge Recovery is Buddhist but my impression is that it might be more compatible with a secular viewpoint than AA generally is. There's hope, don't stop reaching out.

rivergirl

Return to “Are you addicted?”