Effexor and weed

Discussions on addictions and their relationship to depression. Post as new topic.
angerKa

Effexor and weed

Post by angerKa »

I'm trying to quit smoking weed. Taking Effexor is making me to hyper and almost a manic. So, I think it happens because of the combination of weed and Effexor? Or does it happens because Effexor is taking over, and my brain is trying to slow down with weed?
Anyone had an experience with both?
vanbipolar
Issues: Depression, PTSD, Bipolar, ADD
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Effexor and weed

Post by vanbipolar »

Hey,

Sorry you're going through this. I don't have much advice regarding this except I was on Effexor for 5 years. It is a very powerful drug that worked for me but also made me sort of like a drone. As for the weed, I've never mixed the two so I can't say. Effexor NEVER made me manic, energetic or anything - I actually took it at night and fell asleep fast. Maybe just stop the weed completely and keep it up with the Effexor. How much are you taking? 37.5 mg?

Also, I should probably say that you should talk to your doctor about this too as I'm not a medical *anthing* person. :shock:

Just a note: Getting off Effexor is very hard for some people. It took me months. I went to a new Dr. who diagnosed me with bipolar instead of just depression and I had to wean off Effexor.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. -Oscar Wild
mickeal
Issues: Anxiety Alcoholism Narcissistic/borderlinePD parents incest physical abuse
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Effexor and weed

Post by mickeal »

I experienced mania while on effexor. I had too much energy. My ego took over. I started drinking almost half the hours of every day.

I wouldn't doubt your smoking to try to balance out the mania. Its up to you if you want to continue with trying it. I have heard that some peoples mania stage is just a temporary part of starting the drug.

I tried 3 or 4 ssri antidepressants. They always seemed to give me mania. I seem to do a lot better with the older tryciclic antidepressants like Elavil and Remeron. They might be worth a try if Effexor isnt working.

Return to “Are you addicted?”