Best Insurance Companies/Types for Mental Health Care

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
Aloysius

Re: Best Insurance Companies/Types for Mental Health Care

Post by Aloysius »

The thing to remember about therapists - and especially about young, inexperienced therapists - is that they are just as nervous & self-conscious as the person sitting across from them in the session. Maybe even more so!
You have to find someone you feel that you could develop an openness with. Eventually.
It takes friggin' time and $$$. But in my experience, it takes time to feel comfortable enough with someone and that time multiplies when it's a paid professional. Cuz face it, it's going to feel artificial at first. You take time out of your busy day, wait in a doctor's waiting room, get your name called, then go sit in an office that you paid to sit in, and be expected to reach some deep catharsis with the guidance of a total stranger.
That's got to be weird even for a totally balanced person, let alone those of us with mental problems. It's work. And work feels good after awhile and it feels good to take time out of your day and pay a professional to work on yourself.
Keep at it! It gets better.
cyanidebreathmint

Post by cyanidebreathmint »

I really don't like the idea that I'll cry. lol. I wonder how many people are deterred from therapy cuz of that.
next year

Post by next year »

Yeah, I used to cry in therapy a lot. Not fun, but I felt so much better afterward.

One thing I found helpful was to take an hour after therapy to be by myself - I wouldn't go home right away. I'd go to a diner or a bookstore or something and have a cup of tea and read, or just browse. I really needed time to decompress before I went home and back into mom/wife mode. It gave me time to go from feeling kinda crappy to feeling calm and restored.

When you think about it, avoiding the feelings that make you wanna cry is probably what makes most people end up in therapy. :)
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

next year wrote:When you think about it, avoiding the feelings that make you wanna cry is probably what makes most people end up in therapy.
So true. I do a ton of avoiding. I suppose that's sort of a default coping skill when you don't have many other ways to deal with stuff. I'm trying very hard to develop other ways of coping.
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
ratan2012

Post by ratan2012 »

hi

i have collect the lot of information in this site ,

i have share the these information also my friends and relatives

thank you .

[url]=http://healthcarepages.com/listing/]Health Insurance[url]
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

Hello ratan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you're here and that you have found some good stuff.

Dan
suziebates

Post by suziebates »

More folks including both individual adults and families are on their own to provide funding for healthcare. There is a growing trend of being your own freelance business owner, being a contract employee or being employed by a business that does not offer a health insurance benefit.
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

That's sort of the situation I'm in. It took a little work to find quality help that would charge me on a sliding scale, but I'm so glad I didn't give up. I don't have insurance that will really cover most of what I need, so now I just take what insurance can give me, take the discount my therapist can give me, and the rest goes in the budget. I must say though, it sucks that I need the most help when I am least able to afford it. Definitely not a perfect system.

If anyone has any suggestions for people looking for free/low-cost services, I think this would be a good place to post them.

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”