Medication? Therapy?

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
waffled

Medication? Therapy?

Post by waffled »

After experiencing anxiety and panic attacks, I went to my doctor and she prescribed an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication (sertraline) for my anxiety. At the time, it was what I was seeking out, but after doing further research and really considering my issues, I've begun to think that perhaps medication should not be my first step in relieving my anxiety--especially a daily medication that messes with my brain chemistry before I've tried anything else. I'm looking for a diagnosis of my anxiety issues, if there even is one, and I don't know where to go for that. Can my regular doctor help me with that, or do I have to go elsewhere?
irrationalpersist

Re: Medication? Therapy?

Post by irrationalpersist »

The medication might help you get enough calm to take action on the underlying issues that are causing the problem. Your GP might be able to point you to local family services or mental health services that can help you find someone to talk to about your issues. You might also be able to find resources for these services by calling your local mental health services society. Paul mentions calling 211 as a starting place.

I have suffered from anxiety, emotional flashbacks and panic all my life. I have never been prescribed medication and I never thought to ask for it. I have been working with therapists off and on since I was 28 (that is 30 years now). Each time I do a round of therapy I address another layer of the onion peeling off. I'm not all better, but I am much better than I ever was. I just keep working on it.

You anxiety and panic are telling you that something needs attention. It sounds like you are listening and seeking help to find out what these symptoms mean. It is a journey, with no clearly defined destination. You are not alone, we are all traveling with you.

Hugs

IP

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”