Premature deletion

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Premature deletion

Post by rivergirl »

I'm frustrated and mad at myself because I've wasted a lot of time writing posts and survey responses on this forum over the past six months or so, but I nearly always delete them. I start thinking they sound stupid or boring or unhelpful or I just hate them because I'm the one who wrote them. I obsess too much about inconsequential things, like my grammar or poor writing skills or hating the user name I selected (because it is tied to my ex-husband, because I don't live in a house on a river any more, because I'm not really a girl any more, because I inevitably find fault with anything that is part of me or chosen by me.)

Sometimes I can really lose myself in listening to the podcast, reading surveys, reading these posts, and get outside of myself and empathize with other people. Other times I'm comparing myself to other people and envying things about them, even here, even when I'm listening to people who have experienced terrible things. I'm not a narcissistic person, I don't think, I think it's just that I sometimes dislike being me so much that I would rather be anyone else. (Example of the monster envious me listening to podcast: You had postpartum depression and wanted to commit suicide? Yes, that's too bad, but when I was hospitalized for planning to commit suicide I didn't have a husband and a baby to come home to, so clearly you are better off than I am.)

I'm afraid that Paul and/or Manuel Moe or someone else knows how many times I've written things and filled out surveys and deleted them, and I'm on some kind of blacklist and should never post anything in the future. I suppose that sounds narcissistic in and of itself, but I can't shake that feeling that I don't even deserve to be here.

I especially feel bad that I've received a lot of help from listening to the podcasts and reading the forum and surveys, and yet I've rarely written anything in response or tried to help anyone else. There are people who post in the forum that I almost feel I know just because I've read so many of their posts, empathized with them, wished I could say something to ease their pain or make them smile, and yet I still just lurk. One time I read a post where someone commented that he learned everything he needed to know about the podcast & forum by seeing how many people read posts but don't respond, and I felt guilty because that's exactly what I do. I'm a coward even in anonymity. Ugh ugh ugh! I'm going to hit submit before I delete this once again.

Signed, The Listener Formerly Known As Rivergirl
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Premature deletion

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I think a person is only blocked if they try to submit hundreds of surveys in a minute. That part of the system is automatic - there are no logs to review about it.

Please take care, and be self-loving. I used to try to be a perfectionist - now I just dive in and let the chips fall where they may. People respond so well to opening up that they hardly care about an undotted "i" or and uncrossed "t". :D

You are not a coward, you are just taking your first shaky steps in a long but rewarding journey. All the best, cheers, we here are cheering for you and for your greatest today and tomorrow! :D :D :D 8-)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl

Re: Premature deletion

Post by rivergirl »

Thank you for your kind words, Manuel_Moe_g. It's been a rough week for me & I started crying just reading your reply, but then I saw your "obsequious thumbtack headdress" tagline and it made me smile through my tears. [Picture a "smiling through tears" Smilie here!]

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”