Don't know if I can go on

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Don't know if I can go on

Post by rivergirl »

I don't know if it's the loss of my sister last week or just a progression of my depression, but the last few days I've felt increasingly more desperate and the idea of continuing to struggle seems impossible. I don't want to hurt my family, but it feels like I've exhausted all the options and I can't keep doing this any more. I could check myself into a hospital and my insurance would cover it, but I'm afraid it wouldn't help and it would just be worse when I got out and had to go back to work again. I feel terrible about myself for not managing my depression better and letting myself get to this place. I'm desperate to stop feeling so much pain. I keep thinking about taking an overdose of pain medication and whether or not I have the courage to do it. I know I've posted things like this before when I felt desperate and I apologize for once again posting something so negative. I want my life to have value and to uplift other people but I think I'm at the point where I can only become a burden to others.
oak

Re: Don't know if I can go on

Post by oak »

This can't continue!

You deserve relief, Rivergirl.

I encourage you, kindly, to call 211 and your work EAP. Tell them what you told us. Keep telling people until you find someone who cares, and can help you.

Lots of people on this forum, starting with me, want to see you alive and happy.

You've done the right thing, posting here. You just keep using your words; that's all you have to do.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Rivergirl,
rivergirl wrote:I'm desperate to stop feeling so much pain.
I hear you. You don't deserve this pain. We know you deserve so much better, because of who you are, who you have shown yourself to be in this forum.
rivergirl wrote:I know I've posted things like this before when I felt desperate and I apologize for once again posting something so negative.
No need to apologize. You deserve to be heard. We are happy to hear you, in your most desperate time.
rivergirl wrote:I want my life to have value and to uplift other people but I think I'm at the point where I can only become a burden to others.
Not a burden at all. Happy to hear you.

Please keep the lines of communication open. All best wishes to you for this your dark time.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Hang in there Rivergirl. You are a godd and worthwhile person.
I know that feeling of just wanting the pain to stop.
Don't feel bad about not being able to manage your depression. It's a very tough enemy and once it gets its claws in you it just pulls you down.
Don't apologize for posting something negative. Lord knows I've posted way more negative things. The important thing is to give you an outlet to communicate your feelings.
Please take care of yourself and do whatever you have to do to be safe. If that's going to the hospital then go to the hospital.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Hi rivergirl.

I was really sorry to read about your sister. As the others have said, please do take care of yourself.

I saw a guy a while back with a quote on his T-shirt (apparently from Samuel Beckett). It said, "I can't go on. I'll go on." Some days, I think that's about the best description for life as I can think of.

Last thought: depression is an expert at perpetuating itself. That you talk about not "managing your depression better" is exactly what depression would have you think—that there's some sort of perfect person who is completely on top of their illness at all times, in all places, and under all conditions. Screw that. Depression wants us small and broken. We're all of us better than that.

We'll just have to keep reminding each other.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

Still here, going on. I got a last minute appointment with my therapist the day after I posted here, and then managed to work the rest of the week. Everything feels a bit surreal, but I don't think I'm at a crisis point any longer.

I was overwhelmed reading the responses to my post. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in my feelings.
ncj
Issues: depression, anxiety, eating disorders

Post by ncj »

Hi, Rivergirl -

I just wanted to send a hug and send my condolences for the loss of your sister. I'm so sorry you are struggling and I am wishing you all the best. Thank you for posting and sharing.

Sending you love,

nj
oak

Post by oak »

Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

Thanks so much, nj.
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

Wow, I've heard Alabama Shakes but not that song. Thank you, Oak.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”