Started job. Coming week goals: balanced life.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Started job. Coming week goals: balanced life.

Post by oak »

I am happy to report that I started a job last week. It is a responsible position, with excellent benefits (including semi-official cultural and physical fitness benefits).

Starting to work again is a big adjustment (see below), but I am walking away from this unemployment spell with clarity for the next time I'm out of work: always take action right away. (That is a topic for another thread, but I don't intend to get caught flatfooted next time.)

My first week was just trying to get specific tasks done, then holding on to the end of each day, which I did.

While the second week of work will be just as nerve wracking, I want to intentionally get back several actions that will balance the work with the life:

1. Go to taekwando (twice).
2. Visit my parents (once).
3. Get up early enough to go for a walk to the coffee shop and see the pretty baristas (this will help get me out of my head, and same old physical space, since I am working from home (twice).
4. Turn off screens at 10 pm, enabling me to read for an hour before going to bed (if I don't do this I have very little chance of achieving item #3.)

Secondary goals

1. Assemble new desk for final touches of ergonomic improvements.
2. Clear clutter and clean my home office.
3. Improve the desk location and lighting to appear more professional in Zoom calls.
4. Improve my Excel skills, specifically functions COUNTIF and IF

Good as the above goals are, I know the goal of anyone in November 2020 is to keep a job. If that is all I do this week, that is a lot. Still, I'd like to work off my nervous energy by starting most days with a little sun and walking.

I'll report back this time next week!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Started job. Coming week goals: balanced life.

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Glad to hear about the new job, and glad to hear you are starting with the end in mind, where the ultimate goal is a balanced, fulfilling life. This is fantastic news!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Congratulations, Oak! Wishing you well in your second week on the job.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Congrats Oak. It must be such a relief to have that uncertainty off your shoulders.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”