feeling lost

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

feeling lost

Post by brownblob »

I am feeling unsure. The shrink I have been seeing for the last few years has referred me(dumped) to another shrink. The shrink I have been referred to is one I have misgivings about. His father was a shrink also. I never saw him, but I never heard good things about him. It makes me view his son pessimistically. I am going into it expecting the worst. I also have tried a lot of meds and none work so I am about to give up on the whole thing. I have been filling out paperwork for this new doctor debating about what to put down and also what to tell him. I also debate just pitching the paperwork and saying to hell with it.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: feeling lost

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Brownblob,

I will pray for you to have the strength to persist on your path toward treatment with pills and therapy.

It is always darkest before the dawn, but it is also darkest before everything turns completely black, so I know where you are coming from.

I metabolize medicines really fast, so I also know what you are saying about pills not helping. I was once on a megadose of lithium, but during a blood test they could only find the tiniest amount in my bloodstream. I have also had some lousy therapists.

Again, I will pray for you to have the strength to persist on your path toward treatment with pills and therapy, because I want the best for you. You are an important and valuable person.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Trust ‘unsure’. The meds work on your neurochemistry. The ongoing cause might not be neurochemical. Trust therapists only as much as you feel safe with. That’s the point in some ways. It’s okay to stop if your gut tells you to. It’s still you taking care of yourself. If you change your mind you can return to therapy or meds or both.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

I am in agreement with our good friends here.

You are worthy of professional care. Finding such care is a difficult matter.

I say this sincerely: I approve of your low expectations. The lower the better. I say this because I remember reading in the Big Book that expectations are inversely proportional to happiness. Ergo, the lower your expectations the happier you'll be.

Keep us posted.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

I stumbled across an online test today about childhood PTSD. I'm kind of skeptical about tests like this but took it anyway. It was 60 questions and if you answered yes to 10 or more it said you might want to talk to a professional. I think everyone could probably answer yes to 10 of the questions. I answered yes to 49. Meaningless and interesting.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hey brownblob,

I'm sorry you're not feeling good about the psychiatrist. Medication for mental health seems like such a frustrating and inexact science. One person has their life changed by the first med they try, and another person tries every combination of meds with no improvement.

Maybe it would be worth giving this guy a chance, in hopes he isn't like his father, but keeping your expectations low, as Oak said? Do people post online reviews of psychiatrists where you live that you could check?

That is interesting about your PTSD test results, and if true, possibly not meaningless? There seem to be more therapists specializing in PTSD now and more methods to treat it. But I know how hard it is to trust a new therapist if you haven't felt that therapy was helpful in the past.

:romance-heartstiny: I know your quote is by someone who doesn't much like people or feel they like him, but I (we) like you, so sending some love your way.

rg
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

Thanks Rivergirl,
There are reviews but they are all mixed for these type of drs. One person will say how nice and understanding the dr was and the next will say how terribly they were treated.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”