Sleep apnea, GERD, and obesity: efforts to fix this.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Sleep apnea, GERD, and obesity: efforts to fix this.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

1. First up, I am very grateful for this site to be back up!

This site is responsible for an astonishingly large proportion of my mental health. I am so grateful for this community.

2. As I've mentioned, since quarantine started I gained weight, struggled with GERD, and have been dragging around much of the day due to probable sleep apnea.

I'll post more, here, as I take steps.

For now, I just want to say that GERD and sleep apnea are hell.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Sleep apnea, GERD, and obesity: efforts to fix this.

Post by brownblob »

As far as the GERD, what I can tell you is probably what you already know. Avoid foods that seem to cause it. Don't eat close to bedtime. Try propping yourself up when you sleep. Sleeping on your left side is a better position. For me, I found that being overtired, using too much caffeine, drinking alcohol(I know you don't do this) eating fatty foods or overeating caused me problems. Hoping you some get some sleep buddy.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
oak

Post by oak »

GERD: thanks Brownblob! I've effected your advice, and hope the propped bed continues my reduced rate of the hellish GERD.

Obesity: My employer's wellness department offers an excellent nutrition counseling program, which starts in the new year. I effected a similar program in 2018 to great effect. More soon.

Sleep apnea:

1. Though it was close, and something of a nightmare, I completed the sleep study last night. I came in with a lot of anxiety, and my tech, while a nice guy, proved ineffective at clearly communicating the plan and expectations of the sleep study method. I chose to have increasingly direct and action-oriented conversations with him, escalating between 2 and 3 am. (Conversations at that time are uniquely apt to be clear, direct, and get at only the most important aspects of life.)

Once we were all clear (the content of which he could have easily explained in thirty seconds at 9 pm, saving himself any number of panicked calls from me between 9 and 3), I slept like a baby and I understand (and deeply hope) enough data was collected to be sent to my doctor for a decision for next steps.

2. I have a Zoom appointment with said doctor between Christmas and New Years.

3. I've been dragging around all day, despite getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night, for months now. I hate sleep apnea.

Lighter note:

To reward myself for enduring the sleep study, more or less successfully, I watched "Inception" tonight. While I lol'ed at some of the "serious" dialogue, I enjoyed it (so many beautiful suits: they inspired me to dress better!), and thought the film got at some important questions about what realities we are invested in, and what the costs will be... and there will be costs.

But I also was profoundly moved by the much-reviled film "The Village", as a profound message on fear, so take my movie recommendations with a grain of salt!
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I felt the same way about the forum, Oak. I was relieved that it hadn't disappeared for good. I'm also a little worried how much I depend on it being here.

I'm glad you made it through the sleep study despite the difficulties with the tech, and glad you have a doctor's appointment set up.

Please keep us posted.
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you Rivergirl!

Between the sleep apnea, exhaustion from starting the new job (which is going very well), coronavirus isolation, and persistent loneliness, I am more tired than I ever thought I could be.

I'm off for ten days, and sometimes in life I just get deep down tired. Exhaustion more than I can describe.

I can say this: I am barely making it, but I am making it.

While I was a very good student in graduate school, I was a charming wastrel as an undergrad, especially towards the end, we thought it was a big joke to say this: "D's are for diplomas"

That's how I feel about my life: today I took out the trash and ran the dishwasher. These are miracles. I have no idea how I accomplished all that.

So I am barely making it, but I'm making, so far.
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

You have many understandable reasons to be exhausted, Oak.

Wishing you physical & mental rest during your break, and sweet dreams. :sleeping-sleeping:

rg
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

RG -

I felt the same way about the forum, Oak. I was relieved that it hadn't disappeared for good. I'm also a little worried how much I depend on it being here.

Why be worried? We all need whatever support we can get, wherever we can get it, no matter how small, right?
oak

Post by oak »

Some Grrrr moments since I posted:

On Dec 30 at 11 am I had an tele-appointment with the my primary care physician nurse practioner. to review the (incompetently-collected) sleep data.

9:30 am: Their office calls to "check me in", advising she'll call probably between 11 and 11:30 am. (She was three hours late last time, so I understood).

10:45: I can't find my phone for a few minutes.

10:50: I find it and see a voice mail. The nurse practionerer left a condescending message, "sorry" that I had "missed the appointment" (which was scheduled ten minutes later).

Truth be told, I was angry and annoyed.

Then I remembered that I can't fire this doctor yet, since they prescribe my Buspar and can be a source for a COVID vaccine. Gritting my teeth, I decided to pretend that when they called back "to reschedule", I would play nice/dumb. They haven't called yet, but I will find a new doctor as soon as is convenient.

Still heated, I immediately called a sleep doctor referral I'd been given.

Because remember: my whole goal is not to get mad at people (though they deserve it), it is to sleep better so I can pursue my dreams.

So now I have an appointment scheduled in mid-January with an actual sleep expert, instead of a well-meaning nurse practionerer who is not neccarily an expert on sleep.

Bigger picture:

Sometimes I have to wonder, considering I was treated incompetently by the sleep tech then nurse practionerer, that if sometime life or Life or fate or God or whatever is testing me, throwing up roadblocks for objectively good outcomes (overcoming sleep apnea is good).

I have to laugh, in a bitter sort of way, then try a new action.
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

Hi Oak,

I'm sorry about this latest roadblock. I hope it turns out that it's worth the wait for the sleep expert. Not to be a Pollyanna about the situation, but maybe the nurse practitioner wouldn't have given you effective care regarding this issue, and seeing her was an unnecessary detour to getting the expert advice you really need. You still have a right to be annoyed at the extremely poor customer service you experienced. Sending you a pat on the back for continuing to pursue competent health care despite the obstacles.

rg
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Oak wrote:I have to laugh, in a bitter sort of way, then try a new action.
The very best stuff. The same way water eventually cuts a mighty canyon, you will "laugh and try a new action" your way out of this and every other dilemma.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”