Tony Bennett retirement: melancholy and gratitude.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Tony Bennett retirement: melancholy and gratitude.

Post by oak »

Friends, at nearly 100 Tony Bennett is retiring.

While I can't claim to enjoy most of his oeuvre, his 1994 album, MTV Unplugged, did help me get sober.

Or proto-sober: he was urbane, well put together, and competent. I was none of those things from when I first listened to that album in the mid 90s, though hopefully I am increasing in those good qualities since getting sober in '08.

He was a good example to me, when I most needed it.

He has certainly earned his retirement. I am still a little melancholy to see him go.

Thoughts on the Album Itself

Much like my other favorite albums (all of which came out at that same time: Buena Vista Social Club, BNL's "Rock Spectacle", and Oasis' "What's the Story, Morning Glory"), it sounds just as fresh and vital 25 years later. I remember being a college dropout and happily listening to them while playing PlayStation 1. Thank goodness I got out that funk.

Even if links weren't prohibited on this forum (which they should be, thanks to the tireless efforts of our friend Manuel Moe), I feel the songs are more of an auditory experience than visual.

Favorite songs:

1. "Autumn Leaves/Indian Summer"

2. "They Can't Take That Away From Me". Despite some regrettable mugging from Tony (we all made mistakes in the 90s), I wish I could hear again for the first time how Elvis Costello sings "The way her smile just beams..."

Transcendent!

3. "A Foggy Day", "When Joanna Loved Me", "All of You": Celebrating a woman's beauty. What better topic?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Tony Bennett retirement: melancholy and gratitude.

Post by rivergirl »

Thank you for sharing, Oak. I'm going to listen to Tony this week in your honor.
oak

Re: Tony Bennett retirement: melancholy and gratitude.

Post by oak »

Hi friends, seeing that he died today, I am sad, and grateful for all he did.

As I said above, he was one of the very few good role models when I was a fairly low-bottom drunk/college dropout.

I since found out that he took a lifelong strong stand for racial equality, often in times when that was violently opposed.

Just like 30 years ago, I’m still lonely and playing too much video games.

But I’m sober, more fit, and have held down a responsible job for some time.

Much of who I am is thanks to him, at my lowest times.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”