My financial crisis: mid-May to mid-June (ongoing).

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

My financial crisis: mid-May to mid-June (ongoing).

Post by oak »

Friends, I am in an acute financial crisis, and I intend to survive.

With your kind indulgence, I'll post fairly frequently as I make moves to survive until June 15. I'm slipping down the chutes and ladders of Maslow's hierarchy, but I have a few resources left. This, obviously, is not any way to live long term. I have a plan for that too, for June 15 to November, but surviving the next 27 days with a roof over my head, fed, and with a job will be success enough.

Simply put, there is a chance (10%? 25%?) that I will lose my housing, car, and/or job in the next month. I am precariously close to a real katabasis.

I've identified at least twelve themes I'll post about, and may add others as I go:

1. Since I know the "why" I want to survive (see my forum signature), now comes the "how".

2. Recognizing the enormous peril I am in.

3. I am the precariat.

4. Current situation: dismal, but facing it honestly.

5. Actions I've effected this week.

6. What I've already lost this week.

7. Assigning blame.

8. Katabasis on Tuesday. This is a big one.

9. Mortification (eg embarrassment).

10. June 16 to November: preliminary plans to escape precariatism.

11. Vivid, but distant, visions for a much better 2023. It is up to me, and I need help.

12. What is going well. What I haven't lost. Moments of joy and courage and experience/strength/hope during these next 27 days.

13. Bookend May 19: Difficult talk with my boss (brief but explicit summary of the above); eg “I may have to choose between food and driving into the office in the next month”.

Since I can no longer afford counseling, posting here will be a major part of my mental health.

I'll post soon. Thank you for listening.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: My financial crisis: mid-May to mid-June (ongoing).

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Please take care, Oak. Keep the lines of communication open, and use this little forum as a resource.

I look forward to you fleshing out these themes you have identified as critical.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

manuel_moe_g wrote: May 18th, 2022, 4:47 am Please take care, Oak. Keep the lines of communication open, and use this little forum as a resource.

I look forward to you fleshing out these themes you have identified as critical.
Thank you, Manuel Moe! Your post means so much to me. That all this is not just, only, "in my head".

Well, friends, here is the first theme:

1. Since I know the "why" I want to survive (see my forum signature), now comes the "how".

“A person with a 'why' can endure any 'how'." -Viktor Frankl

My "why" to survive is: I am motivated to see a specific person at a specific Zumba class on a specific day in late July.

This presupposes several things: I survive, I can afford the modest price of a Zumba class, I have a car to get there, and I have a modicum of physical fitness.

If I can see myself, in two months, doing better, then that is the "why".

If I can endure it, I'll soon share about my grim/terrifying current situation. Thanks for listening.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Another theme! Second of 13-ish.

6. What I've already lost this week.

Vacations/travel, emergency savings, restaurants, new clothes, day trips, and any other luxury: declining until none in 2021.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Latin dance lessons/workshops, counseling: this month.

In other words, I am not living in any extravagance. My last luxuries are a smartphone ($35/month) and gym membership.

In the last six weeks I've felt guilty about getting groceries.

This is no way to live.

I work 40 hours a week in a responsible, white collar position. I thought my education and white collar job would protect me. It did not. I thought I was different. I am not.
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Oak!

Would the group benefit from some "copypasta" of low/no cost therapy resources?

Let me see if i have any in the archives...
~~~~~~
oak

Post by oak »

Please! :)
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

Low/No Cost Mental Health Resources

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies

If you are just needing someone with the chat with online, not a professional, there is a great depression chat room that usually has at least 40 different people, you can go and go private and discuss issues and just get stress off your chest. Here is the link:

depression-chat-rooms.org

Finally, here is a good summary of the precursors to suicide to help you understand yourself and others, it is from a PhD psychologist whose father committed suicide:

American Psychological Association - Thomas Joiner, PhD - Precursors to suicide, for yourself and others

Cheers to you, for scrolling all the way down to the bottom of this copypasta! :D
~~~~~~
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you, Manuel Moe, for this copypasta 🙂

Also, friends, I just saw this on Reddit, and it is sadly true for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/ul18zd/do_it_for_them/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
oak

Post by oak »

Friends! I retire this thread, which has been way intense, with gratitude.

I say this because I effected many direct actions until my acute problem was resolved. The action that got me to temporary safety: I requested my car payment be moved back to June 16.

Good news: I am in no danger of losing my housing, car, or job this month.

I can afford food, gasoline, and housing.

Difficult reality: all of the conditions that put me here still exist and have not gone away, at all.

With your kind indulgence I'll post this summer about my efforts to increase my professional skills and find higher-paying work (specifically #10 and 11 above). I can begin these efforts in the next few days.

For now, for today, just avoiding this Maslow-nightmare is enough. Yikes. Whew.

Also, you'll note that I didn't scream at anyone, or find reason enough to drink. I controlled my emotions because I am a grownup. I faced my troubles, many self-created, after fully acknowledging they existed. I knew where each future dollar was going, and knew to the dollar how much I was underwater. I asked for help, and we got through this together.

Thanks for listening!
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Great news, please take care of yourself, you deserve it
~~~~~~

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”