Getting this out, 1 of 2: two things I may do without.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Getting this out, 1 of 2: two things I may do without.

Post by oak »

Friends, here is the first of two things I'd like get out of my brain, by sharing them here.

I am increasingly tired of the consequences of meat and owning a car.

Note that I speak only for myself (I don't care if anyone does/doesn't eat meat/drive car), and that I've previously enjoyed both. That said:

The juice is increasingly not worth the squeeze, as the young people say.

Meat

I enjoy meat, but it activates my GERD (very bad!) and increases my triglycerides. Moreso, I am increasingly loving vegetables and legumes. Specifically: not that I love a burger less, but I love daal more.

Cars

Having had three cars wrecked by reckless drivers (each of which could have easily killed or disabled me), and increasingly enjoying walking, I am heartily sick of owning a car. I promise: the day I get permanent work from home work is the day I sell my car.

To recap

1. Anyone is welcome to car and meat as much as they like. I don't care about anyone in these matters.

2. I am finding a better, new future and naturally am leaving behind things that previously served me.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Getting this out, 1 of 2: two things I may do without.

Post by rivergirl »

It doesn't feel like you're proselytizing about cars or diets, oak.

I've been mostly vegetarian/vegan for about 30 years and if I mention this to anyone am always careful not to suggest that they should do the same. I find that I feel better the fewer animal products I consume, but it feels like there's already too much pressure on everyone to adopt a certain nutritional regimen so I prefer to avoid contributing to that.

I think the important thing is to recognize what works best for you, and not feel like you have to apologize for it.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I don’t own a motorized vehicle. Looking after the object and being bound to it is burdensome. There is a peace and freedom in walking. I have a bicycle on which I coast around the neighborhood; a true pleasure.

I eat meat but I haven’t cooked it at home for many years. For some reason I genuinely don’t like the lingering cooking smell of it in the house.

These are different reasons to you but my needs are just as fussy and fickle ;)

I guess, try it out and see. If it doesn’t work out, return. I support the endeavor either way. Your health and well-being should always come first.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you, Beany Boo!

And thank you, also, RiverGirl:

Meat and cars are very contentious topics. Especially as a cudgel for de-masculating other men.

Though I have not shared this on the forum, I have discomfort with my evolving experience of American masculinity.

There is more I’d like to stay, but first I think I’ll run it by my mental health counselor next weekend.

In the meantime, thank you for listening and advising: cars, meat, and masculinity are complex and fraught topics. I’ll proceed slowly.

In the meantime, goodness do I love all manner of lentils, pico de gallo, and celery.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oak, My husband is an ex butcher. Let it be known he won't eat red meat. Fish we catch ourselves with his torpedo thing he sends out to sea each month, chicken we get from my brother whom has a farm of them free range.
We don't cook red meat due to the smell and my bowel can not process it at all.

As for the car! Don't get me started!!! I would love a horse to take to work, we have some in the paddocks below us and the thought of riding one to work each day makes me smile.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”