Pop: I cut back today. Being cool. Just discovered “sugar withdrawal”.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Pop: I cut back today. Being cool. Just discovered “sugar withdrawal”.

Post by oak »

Friends, after getting sober (fifteen years this June!), like a lot of sober brothers I immediately took up pop.

I drink three cans a day (at least!), and I have recently been reminded that three cans of pop is an immense amount of sugar.

Picking my battles, I’m facing sugar and putting off the caffeine for another day.

At the urging of my dietitian, this morning I replaced two of the three pops with a squirt of a sugar free drink concentrate called Mio Energy (think Kool Aid). (All other sugar free drinks upset my stomach.)

I was doing fine today, until I wasn’t: late today when I tried to do some kettlebell, I felt like I suddenly had the stomach flu.

Sugar withdrawal is a thing, I found out in a visceral way.

I make no promises about the future, but this is the longest I’ve reduced my sugar intake since June 15, 2008. We’ll be all cool like.

While I am letting go of the outcome, I do know that many of my goals will be much easier to accomplish with sugar out of my life.

I’ll let you know how I do.

Btw, my dietitian stated that I might well get to my goal weight, without changing anything else, simply by reducing/eliminating pop.

I don’t doubt that I am headed for further, and worse, withdrawal symptoms.

I am free to drink pop at any moment, including right now, which takes considerable pressure off.

I also have dreams and aspirations, and pop won’t get me there. It will slow me down.

Updates soon!

Edit to add:

I use the term “withdrawal” with considerable reservations, in light of the seriousness of drug and especially alcohol withdrawal.

I’ve seen sugar cessation described as “withdrawals”, so I’ll go with that, unless someone can offer a more appropriate term.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Re: Pop: I cut back today. Being cool. Just discovered “sugar withdrawal”.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

I’m in my second day of reduced pop, and I am a bit wobbly:

Flu-like symptoms: 4 of 10

Pop craving: 2 of 10

Headache: 1 of 10

No hero, I’ll have a pop right away if either the craving or headache gets to a 3.

In the meantime I’m doing the recommended copes: exercise, hydration, and enjoying fruit.

I am in the white-knuckle stage!

Edit to add:

If I am to believe Dr. Reddit, then the blues and grief I am feeling is common with sugar withdrawal.

Perhaps I should handle this sorrow like a flu: plenty of fluids and rest, and decrease the demands on myself.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

I think the key is, my dear friends, that I don’t always have to feel good.

Said another way: it is okay to feel a little bit bad, in a controlled and expected way, so I can feel much better in the long run.

Maybe this really isn’t about pop at all.
oak

Post by oak »

Friends!

I’ve taken my first extraneous pop, due an ostensible “headache” and stress/anxiety about being in the office.

I mention this not to be exhausting (though I don’t doubt I am), but because I want to be honest.
oak

Post by oak »

Friends, for the first time since Saturday, June 14, 2008, I have gone without pop for 24 hours.

I am still (mostly!) alive.

I am holding a can, unopened, and I feel nothing.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I feel you don’t receive enough respect for 15 years of sobriety, Oak

It is a massive achievement, a foundation to build dreams upon
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

I love the work 'pop'. This is a term not used down here at the bottle of the earth. I find it cute.

Sugar withdrawal is something i have not experienced myself so unable to relate, however if it is like caffeine withdrawal then yes i can understand that. Many years ago when working hours i feel embarrassed to say i lived on the stuff in ways i don't see at healthy. It took me months to come off it. Now only able to tolerate one maybe a two a day without shitting myself!
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you good friends Manuel Moe and Mental Fairy!

Considering that I was consuming the equivalent of 2.5 cups of sugar a day (!), every day for the last 15 years, this is as big as some other choices I’ve made.

Ten days ago I couldn’t imagine cutting back on pop. Until one day it just happened.

I said that to say this:

Perhaps me with alcohol (06/15/2008) and pop (02/25/2023) can be your 03/05/2023 with [your vice].

People get sober every day. Tomorrow could be your day to overcome your issue.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oh this word pop makes me giggle still. Sorry oak I’m not being rude but I do love the word. I don’t drink it as it plays havoc on my internal plumbing system. I have to say though oak. You’re very mindful and this is a great part of you.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I don't find this exhausting at all, Oak. 24 hours can feel like forever when abstaining from any addiction, so kudos to you!

Are you still drinking the energy drink? It's a longshot but I was wondering if the artificial sweetener could be disagreeing with you? Probably not but
some people are sensitive to certain ones.

I too am charmed by the word "pop." My dad always used "pop", while most people I grew up with used "soda." One of my favorite reference books is "The Dictionary of American Regional English" ... wish I had it on hand to look up the origin of these different terms.

Keep us posted on new developments!

rg

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”