Barre space: physical and in my daily life (eg making space in my calendar).

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Barre space: physical and in my daily life (eg making space in my calendar).

Post by oak »

Friends! I posit that barre is integral for my mental health:

1. It gives me a reason to live.
2. I can increasingly bring order, structure, and discipline to my fresh new post-midlife crisis life.
3. I have noticed someone at my classes (tbh, my main motivation; I'm a firm believer in doing the right thing for any reason).

My goal:

To become increasingly graceful and powerful at barre, by practicing it most days, even if it is just for a few minutes.

My methods/means:

1. Declutter and clean the former dojang (eg the 15x15 foot linoleum open space in my apartment).
2. Practice barre 1-2 days a week, when I am not in an on-site class (which is 2-3 days a week).
3. Work on my core, using the instructional handout sheets my physical therapist gave me.
4. Find time for all this by reducing my time spent (wasted) on Reddit doomscrolling.
5. Other goals as they present themselves.

Let me know if I am missing anything! Updates soon, including listing my considerable barre resources.

Edit to add:

Special shoutout and thanks to our good friend Mental Fairy, who has been so diligent in creating and sustaining her yoga space. Even through multiple hurricanes! You are an excellent example, Mental Fairy. Thank you.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Barre space: physical and in my daily life (eg making space in my calendar).

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak,

Thank you for the shout out. You’re doing well and the effort you put in is inspiring.
Only you will know what you have left out, but if you want at leave one thing from the outside looking in perspective then it would be to sit in your newly cleaned space as admire it. Look at your achievements no matter how small or large. Be in that space, soak it in and smile.

I feel like I’m clawing my way back and your encouragement helps greatly.
oak

Re: Barre space: physical and in my daily life (eg making space in my calendar).

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy wrote: May 1st, 2023, 5:35 pm Thank you for the shout out. You’re doing well and the effort you put in is inspiring.

I feel like I’m clawing my way back and your encouragement helps greatly.
Thank you, Mental Fairy!

Your encouragement means so much. I am not exactly encouraged in my barre journey, but the efforts to results ratio is sadly low.

That said, I've been hungry/hangry/peckish all day; I can't be satisfied.

I tried to clear the barre space, but it wasn't happening.

It is 8 pm on a Sunday, so I am calling it a day: I'm playing an hour video games and listening to the online streaming of bluegrass. :)
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Rest well my friend, may you sleep well tonight and wake refreshed and ready to step through into a new day.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks, Mental Fairy!

Friends! I have accomplished the first goal:

The barre area, heretofore known as the dojang (😢 I miss martial arts) is now decluttered.

(As is my apartment’s “tv and easy chair area” and home office. The kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom? Ehhhh…)

My next goal is to come up with a summer barre plan.

Thanks for listening!

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”