Labor Day: Grieving this summer, informal 5k tomorrow, bookend to next Sunday.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Labor Day: Grieving this summer, informal 5k tomorrow, bookend to next Sunday.

Post by oak »

Friends, three thoughts:

1. I am grieving this summer.

It wasn’t a complete failure: (1) I got introduced to pickleball, (2) I discovered a new reason to live, and (3) I switched, nearly completely (perhaps 90%), to a Mediterranean diet, which I am loving.

Otherwise my summer was a dismal failure, and I can’t keep living like this: (1) I had no summer romance, (2) my sleep apnea came back, (3) I am paycheck to paycheck with no obvious solutions ready, and (4) I daily put myself at enormous risk due to my commute.

I have reason for hope, to be sure. But I’m going to take what remains of my four-day holiday weekend, Sunday evening and all of Monday, to really feel the grief.

2. In a little lighter news, tomorrow morning I plan to do an informal 5k on the town square, while playing Pokémon Go. That would be 8 circuits of the 684-meter town square perimeter; I’ll consider 5 circuits a success.

3. I am sad and blue on a Sunday evening, I’m just trying to hold on until the NFL returns Thursday. (I have grave concerns about American football, especially the long term effects on players’ health. But any port in a storm.)

I’ll post Monday (5k), Thursday (football), and Sunday (when I hope to be happier).

Lastly, after grieving for the next 36 hours, I hope to start picking myself up again, and taking specific action so my autumn is better than my summer.

Thank you for listening!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Labor Day: Grieving this summer, informal 5k tomorrow, bookend to next Sunday.

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oh my friend, I’m thinking of you. I would swap our spring summer for your autumn winter any day. I am much the same about summer. Weird ain’t we!
oak

Re: Labor Day: Grieving this summer, informal 5k tomorrow, bookend to next Sunday.

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 9:19 pm Oh my friend, I’m thinking of you. I would swap our spring summer for your autumn winter any day. I am much the same about summer. Weird ain’t we!
Well said, Mental Fairy.

Autumn and especially winter are my favorite seasons, as so well explained by Andrew WK:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ppvkj8/andrew-wk-on-autumn

Bookend 2 of 4: Monday's "5K"

Friends!

I was feeling a bit more myself this morning (Monday), and completed 1500 meters of my ostensible goal of 5K.

Everything was fine: sunny and nice out. But hungry and peckish, I had some baklava in my car that I wanted to take home and enjoy.

Truth be told, I've neither accomplished much grieving or action-taking today: I think I am going to take my holiday to listen to podcast and play my video game.

I'll hold on through the meat of the workwork, aiming to make it until watching the NFL game on Thursday.

For today, for now, I'll just be.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”