Can you cry?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.

What best describes how you cry? (Please pick one numbered option and one lettered option)

1. I constantly cry about everything.
1%
2. I will cry the moment I start to feel sad.
10%
3. I cry when something serious happens, but not all the time.
15%
4. Sometimes I cry, but I really have to focus on something sad.
9%
5. Despite my hardest attempts I rarely, if ever, cry.
18%
A. I have tears, but nothing else.
12%
B. I have tears, and breath heavily.
5%
C. I am able to just tear up, but also sob heavily depending on the situation.
24%
D. I mostly sob.
4%
E. I never have a light cry; I always sob heavily.
2%

Total votes: 119

ether667

Re: Can you cry?

Post by ether667 »

Thank you cheat, Eternally Learning, and Artmart. I had just hung out with the guy at a party the week before, and a day before it happened he posted on my facebook and I was trying to get him a job at the company I work for. (I even brought it up to my manager that day...) He had a string of horrible luck this year, and he was just about to get married too...I still can't fathom how his fiance feels.

Artsmart, I was actually surprised! I had no idea I was capable of doing it anymore with the meds and whatnot. Quite a bit of negative stuff has happened to me in the past few years with no release... (although I do remember tearing up at my second son's birth back in December, but that's different lol!)
underattack86

Post by underattack86 »

I didn't realise that the inability to cry was a common thing. The one and only time I've cried in my adult life (I'm 24) was 2 years back during an extremely powerful dream about my dead grandparents. I woke up bawling and cried for a good 10 minutes. I didn't cry when either of them actually died years earlier. The weird thing is that while I was crying I felt incredibly happy, like I'd experienced something wonderful.

@Artmart That's a very sad tale. I'm glad you're gentle with your kid.
lornrick

Post by lornrick »

I never use to cry much at all, even young my mind was irratating fast thinking and completly analytical, so I knew what emotions I should have felt, but instead of grieving i went strait to acceptance, in seconds. But this past year, I rarely make it a day with out heavy tears, the problem is i work 12 hour days, and 7 hours on weekend days, and I drive a bus during the week. So i hace had to wear sunglasses all the time to hide it as much as possible. The only lucky past I guess is i'm one of those people most ignore, and no one has commented, that and my seat covers my shoulders so no one see's them shake. It got so bad I was useing my nails to dig into my arm to cause enough pain to try and stop it. Didn't help much really
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Ether,
Sorry about your friend. And thank you Artmart for creating this great topic. I don't cry as much as I'd like to. I know that sounds weird, but taking meds makes it harder to cry. I can still cry, but its got to be something pretty big. When I was drinking and before I went on meds, I cried all the time. Not good crying. Crying because I felt so sad and overwhelmed. Even by simple things like driving around trying to find a parking space. Lots of tears lots of anger. Lots of self-pity.

Paul :D
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Oh, and I meant to say thank you Eternally Learning (not Artmart) for creating this great topic and survey. Thank you Artmart for the great honesty in the share about your dad.

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
chesire2050

Post by chesire2050 »

sometimes I will cry when I see something touching....sometimes when I see something sad.... when I am alone I've found myself just starting to cry for no reason... I can say I was never abused...but I do remember my father mocking me once because I showed emotions.. thankfully my mom taught me that it's ok to be human...
I wanna outrace the speed of pain...just for another day....
dare i say it

Re: Crying 101

Post by dare i say it »

If I'm being honest, I find crying a really unpleasant thing to do. Therefore, I try to avoid doing it and try to avoid anything that might make me sad. That's embarrassing to admit. I wish I were more comfortable letting myself cry. I don't know what I'm so afraid of. I just wish I knew what it was supposed to feel like. I'm pretty sure i could get myself to cry, in private, by thinking about all the things in my life that make me sad, but I'm just not sure I want to put myself through that and I don't know if any good would come of it. :|

I'm definitely open to feedback from anyone who's reading this.
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

In some ways my hope is so long gone, I don't have any tears anymore. In some ways, my tear ducts were connected to a part of me that refused to help itself and would only cry about how unfair it was to have to work so hard - I cannot give any energy to that part of me, so no tears. Then there is the part of me that bursts out laughing at the immense cruelty and unfairness of life - like laughing in admiration of how life can pour on more cruelty upon people who have already suffered so much.

I am working to get my mind into a better place, but when I see someone suffering I immediately think about the work that must be done after the tears dry, which I think is not an entirely bad thing.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
MrSir

Post by MrSir »

I cry quite a lot in private but have rarely teared up around other people.
Something strange did happen the other day though when I was in my house by myself (a rare occasion considering there are 7 people in my family). I was watching Raizing Arizona, a film I love, and I fell apart at the end. I mean literally fell apart. Falling to the floor, shaking, howling kind of crying. Not sure what that was about at all. It really disturbed me as I have no explanation for that reaction. I always find crying doesn't remove any tension from me but instead creates more tension and sadness.
Just thought I would share my experience.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

MrSir wrote:I always find crying doesn't remove any tension from me but instead creates more tension and sadness.
For some reason, that reminds me of crying at a "chick-flick" type film during a long international flight. Crying comes just because your state is so precarious and your defenses are down. Please take care, all the best.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”