Self harm

chapstick
Issues: Depression, anxiety, pure OCD self harm, suicial ideation, hopelessness
preferred pronoun: She/her/hers

Self harm

Post by chapstick »

I’m 23 years old and just started cutting again for the first time in 10 years and after spending a year working with adolescents engaging in self harm, my job essentially being to convince them not to. I feel rediculous — a grown-ass woman cutting in her bathtub. I just want to be seen. Everyone sees me as a happy person, and I feel invisible in my pain. I want someone to see the cuts and know that I am hurting and give a shit.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Self harm

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Chapstick,

Welcome to the boards, and nice meeting you! I wish it were under better circumstances. ;)

I'm sorry that you are suffering.

Yeah, and to know about something intellectually, but to still be in its grasp is frustrating. I wish I could will some of my issues away, but have come to realize that it'll be a constant struggle....

I've learned a bit about cutting from a couple of the podcasts, and recently spoke with a niece who's had some episodes in the past. It seems as though females struggle more with it..

(We males seem to have other ways of punishing ourselves or dealing with numbness. Risk-taking come to mind).

About being seen - You might be surprised at how supportive people can be if you let them, though I know it's hard to ask for help..

For what it's worth, we see you here.

Be kind to yourself.

Regards

SD
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Re: Self harm

Post by snoringdog »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/heal ... Position=1

NY Times story on cutting. Some good Comments too...

SD
snoringdog

Re: Self harm (original thread)

Post by snoringdog »

Bumping up ^^

Return to “Forum Suggestions/Problems”