A Forum IRC?

Mr.Chimney

Re: A Forum IRC?

Post by Mr.Chimney »

Yeah - IRC is one of those acronym/techy-word things where the actual procedure is far easier than explaining it. Chatzilla is dead easy - it's a Firefox add-on that more or less explains itself. Where it stops, I step in. Behold my attempt in instructions!

STEP ONE:

Your screen should look like this after you finish with Chatzilla's instructions.

This is where the magic begins. You see those extremely exciting blue-bold-underlined words at the bottom of the image there? We need to click on ircnet, because it hosts our little channel. I've got an unhelpful underlined picture here because what kind of instructions in the modern age simply say what to do:

Right. If you did that, you've arrived at the ircnet page. It should look thus:

We need to tell Chatzilla where we want to go - in this case, the Mentalpod one. Type (or copy-paste) the following into the textbar at the bottom: /join #mentalpod

And then you get to where you need to be! It looks like this:

And there you have it! It's not difficult to make branching channels for other people, so if you want to go and talk to someone specifically there are several ways to do it from the rather anarchic IRC environment. I'm not really a good person to ask about restrictions but I would really like to see people in the forum using their handles here on IRC. You can change your handle, of course, but the continuity of the thing is enhanced by being a part of the forum too. Also, I'll be away for a couple of weeks so I'll try to get on when I can but I won't be able to prune or take care of much until then. Because I'm a home-dwelling pink-collar temp slave and my bouts of employment are fitful struggles between hatred of the workplace and the cold sadness of being unemployed, I'll be able to keep an eye on things for a while at least.

Right. A pitch. I'm not the wordsmith you are, but an IRC channel to me is great for those moments when you're feeling like shit, beating yourself up while staring at your computer, and you really need someone to talk to so the hours don't feel as heavy when they pass. It's a good place for completely unprofessional advice given with love by a bunch of people who want to be heard as much as you do. Join the forum, tell us about yourself, and something-something-there's-a-reason-I'm-not-a-writer.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for taking an interest, Paul and everyone!
"The Logos of domination has built its system, and what follows is epilogue"
- Herbert Marcuse, Eros and Civilization, pp: 107
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

thank you for that. I will just direct people to this forum post because I think it's now pretty explanatory. I should probably mention ahead of time that they would need to use Firefox and an add-on called Chatzilla? And instructions are in the forum thread that I will provide a link to on the show notes for the episode. Do you think that would do it?

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Mr.Chimney

Post by Mr.Chimney »

You're most welcome! The joys of being unemployed while your partner is working a job, yeah? Also, I'm great at accepting thanks.

Well, there are a billion different programs you can use. You can use Mibbit, which is browser-based (and thus doesn't care about which web browser you use). There are stand-alones, too. This is just the way I know best to get from there to here. YouTube is chaulk-full of inexplicably-dubbed how-to guides for every IRC anything under the Sun, so if one particular mode of accessing the thing floats your boat best by all means go for that! Actually, if anyone finds a helpful tutorial for a program or service and wants to put it here, I'd be much obliged. I'll use my magical drug-fuelled funemployment (the fun is short for functional degeneration through lack of!) to work through more different programs and suchinstances. It's wise to point out that the instructions currently on the forum require Firefox and Chatzilla but that there are multiple paths to the same channel. Be sure to mention Mibbit as an option because it is browser-based; Chrome in particular is a bit of a dud for IRC add-ons, so it may be the most useful way for people on Chrome. This thread is totally fine for questions and such and I hope it's useful for some. Otherwise, I think that's about all that I can think of for now.
"The Logos of domination has built its system, and what follows is epilogue"
- Herbert Marcuse, Eros and Civilization, pp: 107

Return to “Forum Suggestions/Problems”