What do you do after an attack?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Supergreen
Issues: Unipolar depression
Ptsd
Anxiety
preferred pronoun: He

What do you do after an attack?

Post by Supergreen »

I had my first panic attack in about six month. The one before that probably also had a few months to half a year of calm preceding it. Considering I've started at almost daily attacks, it's not that bad. The intensity also wasn't what it was 5 years or so ago. I'd say, maybe 30 percent of what it could have been. I didn't completely lose control, I became aware of what was happening to me as it was still happening, and afterwards, didn't have a complete breakdown. It comes in waves, and the waves become less frequent, and aren't as strong, but I still get wet.

My PTSD stems from a very bad relationship, so it manifests in interpersonal ways when it gets triggered. Like, me arguing from a point of RIGHTEOUSNESS (pure desperation), unable to stop, and walk away. Making a fool of myself.

But here is the thing. I don't really know what to do afterwards. I think I might be doing it wrong.
I was coming down from the adrenaline surge when my girlfriend came home, and I told her I got way too upset about a dumb guy saying dumb things, and made (30 percent of) a scene, and she wanted to comfort me. It was when I told her that it was going to be OK, and she told me that's really what she's supposed to tell me, that I realized I don't know how to be comforted.

TL;DR: I think I'm pretty bad at self care, and bad at being cared for. So, here is my question. You had an attack, you're coming down. What do you do to feel better? To maybe let go? With me, I find what gets in my way the most is obsessive thought patterns, going back to the moment that triggered me over and over and over and over again. Yesterday I took a double dose of sleeping pills (perfectly safe) and slept it off, but that's not really ideal.
oak

Re: What do you do after an attack?

Post by oak »

First up, how are you doing now?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Supergreen
Issues: Unipolar depression
Ptsd
Anxiety
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Supergreen »

Pretty good. Calm. All systems go. Thanks for asking :)
oak

Post by oak »

Very good.

Feel free to take or leave the following:

Maybe the key to the after of the attack is the before of the attack.

My suggestion is think, plan, and communicate now.

It sounds like you have a real good understanding of how the attack starts, and what sort of intensity it is likely to be. That is a good start.

Were I you, I'd make a brief list of simple actions you can take as you feel an attack coming on. Simple and few actions are better, much better, than many and complex.

Once you have your list of simple things to do that will help you get through the experience, share this list with people around you, to the extent that you are comfortable in sharing this.

When things are about to get real, or real bad, it is better to go in with a plan, and have everyone know what the plan is.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Jitterz
Issues: Anxiety, panic disorder, ADD, body image, and depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Jitterz »

I always have to get lots of rest after an attack. It takes so much energy from us so sleeping it off is a great idea. I also drink a lot of water and try and do healthy shit like yoga and eating a healthy meal lol. If you keep having recurring episodes I would definitely go to a Dr. I have to take meds and therapy for my panic attacks. I still get them every now and then but know how to handle them instead of going to ER lol. I'm actually coming down from one right now. I feel much better...I chugged a bottle of cold water. Hang in there and feel free to message me any time.
"I am trying-I am trying to explore my unconscious wishes and fears, trying to lift the barrier of repression, of self-deception, that controls my everyday self." ~Sylvia Plath

Return to “PTSD”