Therapy dog

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Mosesvampslayer
Issues: Bipolar, PTSD, Misophonia
preferred pronoun: He

Therapy dog

Post by Mosesvampslayer »

Does anyone on here have experience with therapy dogs? I am newly diagnosed with ptsd and bipolar disorder and I feel like getting a dog would help me immeasurably but I don't know where to start. I read a few pages that made me worry about finding a reputable business that trains and I don't trust anyone. I really appreciate any input on this, thanks.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Therapy dog

Post by snoringdog »

Hello MVS,

No direct experience with therapy dogs per se, but have always had dogs in my life, and they're great on so many levels. Lots of posters here have said the same.

Quick search shows lots of stuff on the American Kennel Club site, maybe that's a place to start?

What have you found so far?

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/train ... g-therapy/

https://www.akc.org/products-services/t ... g-program/
Mosesvampslayer

Well I finally came up with a solution here. I'm gonna register my next dog as an Emotional Support Animal. I think that will fit for me quite well. Thanks for those links. My main concern is accessibility at my apartment and future places of residence and this will eliminate those issues.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello MVS,

Did you find one? I understand that there are quite a few well-trained dogs who didn't quite make the cut to be Seeing Eye, but are wonderful and available.

Good luck!

SD
Mosesvampslayer

I haven't yet. I am waiting for my apartment to approve my ESA paperwork before I can adopt
Mosesvampslayer

I found a dog! I got a 9 month old German Shepherd, Lab mix. I've had him for about five months now. He isn't trained for therapy at all and has been quite a challenge. He is my first dog on my own as an adult and I'm learning quite a lot about training in general. I have to say some days he drives me nuts and I wish I didn't have such a strong personality animal but I love him very much and I know it will all be worth it.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Mosesvampslayer, that is simply the very best news! Best of luck to both of you, on the path you have started!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Dogs can be challenging but they are also full of love. Try your best at training him but realize that really you are learning his behaviors and he is learning yours and eventually the two of you will figure it out.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “PTSD”