EMDR Question...

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
RSRA
Issues: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

EMDR Question...

Post by RSRA »

I have had 3 sessions of EMDR, and it's made a pretty giant dent in my anxiety already. There are days when I feel absolutely no anxiety outside of the normal everyday things, and my life has certainly become much more relaxed in general (of course, my first year of grad school coming to a close followed by a five-week break had something to do with it, I'm sure).

However, there is one big change that isn't necessarily troubling, but it's certainly alarming.

I've become a forgetful person. Not like, "oops, I forgot to switch the laundry over before I left for work this morning", it's more like "oops, I forgot that pretty important meeting", or "oops, I left my ATM card in the machine two hours ago".

I've been told by my therapist that this is normal, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to it, and it's leading me to do things like get halfway to wherever I'm going and turn around to make sure I turned the oven off, or think obsessively about whether or not I made sure to drop my dog's food off with him to daycare on a long day, to the point where I've called them a couple of times to make sure I did it. I literally have to repeat it to myself three times right after I do something (like locking the door) for it to stick in my head that it's done. I guess it just feels so alarming to me because I was never like this before EMDR. I didn't even need to use a day planner or a calendar with any kind of regularity before, and now I'm finding that I can't not use it if I want to remember everything. This is to say nothing of the idea that because I have anxiety and work so hard to hide it, being less than "perfect" and accepting it is a challenge for me (but one that I need to work on - I have gotten feedback from TWO of my professors that people don't trust a counselor who comes off as "perfect", so it's ok to let my emotions and imperfections show a little bit...so it's something that I'm working on, albeit with great trepidation)

Is this normal? If so, does it go away? It's certainly not a dealbreaker if it doesn't, because it feels like being a little absentminded is a small price to pay for my anxiety being gone. I'm feeling like I just need to know that I'm not experiencing something abnormal here. :)
Awkwardly Fostered

Re: EMDR Question...

Post by Awkwardly Fostered »

Did you continue with the treatments after all of this? How are you now?

Return to “PTSD”