Night time lighting and tv

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
suicidalmaniac39

Night time lighting and tv

Post by suicidalmaniac39 »

In a recent research article it appears that staying up late at the computer or watching tv may lead to depressive cycles because the artificial light and backwards eating cycle appears to disrupt the circadian rythyms of the body.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/24/u ... picks=true
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Night time lighting and tv

Post by bigeekgirl »

Interesting idea.

In my experience, the findings of this study would be very chicken-or-egg. I spend time on the computer at night because I deal with insomnia.
Kanata

Post by Kanata »

I find it is a vicious cycle I get in. Insomnia leads to late night screen time but late night screen time can lead to insomnia. Or, rather, missing my window for sleep. I'm trying to limit all screens an hour before bed but it is darn hard when my mind is racing a mile a minute to not pick up that phone and surf the net.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

I use this awesome program called f.lux to battle that evil blue light at night. There's even an iPhone version if your cell is jailbroken, which I really think has helped me fall asleep faster along with my "Happy Light" which simulates sunlight in the early morning when I have to get up before the sun itself does. I recommend trying it out on your computer. The tint takes a little bit to get used to, but after a while you hardly even notice it.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Links for More Mental Health Info”