Another sad story but with a dog

If you feel like showing your art or an expression of who you are, do it here.
thecatewhite

Another sad story but with a dog

Post by thecatewhite »

Here's another preview page from my upcoming series of sketchbook diaries. I'm trying to generate some buzz here. See more at http://www.catewhite.com in the Sketchbooks category.
Attachments
15humanconditionfixweb.jpg
15humanconditionfixweb.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Anne

Re: Another sad story but with a dog

Post by Anne »

Your art looks so fearless. I really (envy) like it.
thecatewhite

Post by thecatewhite »

I couldn't ask for a better compliment. I have SO much fear involved with making art, so it means a lot to me to hear that. Thanks Anne!
Anne

Post by Anne »

This is comforting to hear. I guess you wouldn't be here if it was otherwise.
I'm working my way through my fears too. Art is just something so terribly intimate for me. Creativity comes so naturally to us when we are kids. How could it become something that we fear? I'm trying very hard to make it the thing that it was for me, when I was a kid - an outlet, a vital function of my brain.
How do you approach this? Your art really looks like you're letting something loose. Whenever I pick up a pen I totally stiffen up.
thecatewhite

Post by thecatewhite »

Well, Anne, good question. I've been working at this for about 11 years now, trying to find that freedom in artmaking. I really see it as a spiritual process. It's kind of like having the faith that, if you get out of the way--that is, put aside all your hopes and fears, your ego's concerns--there will be something there, something you couldn't have imagined or planned, but that you recognize as true and real and free. That's the state of grace I'm always looking for when I try to make art. And I fall short a lot, but there's no other feeling like it, so I keep trying. One thing that I can say has helped is that I just try to focus on my breath and what I see in front of me and put aside all thought and just keep moving from my body, not my head. And if something starts feeling stiff and boring, just scribble it out and do what feels fun. Hope that helps a little!
Oh, and read "Van Gogh's Blues" by Eric Maisel or Fearless Creating by the same guy. Life-changers, those books.
Anne

Post by Anne »

Thanks for sharing. That's really inspiring. I just bought "Art & Fear" and "Around the Writer's Block". Feels really good to know that I am not alone in this and that there are ways around or rather through this. I like the idea of focusing on the breathing, since that is always an ego-breaker.
thecatewhite

Post by thecatewhite »

ARt and Fear is a good one, too. Trust the process--even the hard parts.
Anne

Post by Anne »

I will. Have to, I guess, cause not doing is even harder than avoiding it.
Hope to see you on here again.
Thanks for the advice. :)

Return to “Express Your Creativity”