Abilify anyone?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
meh
Issues: Bipolar, depression, general all around ick
preferred pronoun: That

Abilify anyone?

Post by meh »

My (new) psych thinks the Wellbutrin I've been taking for almost 10 years isn't really working all that well. So he wants me to add Abilify to the mix.

Background - I'm BP II but lately I've just been low-level depressed. Not suicidal but just... ehh.
"Of course you have an active inner life, you're bipolar"
my therapist.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Abilify anyone?

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Abilify gave me the energy to seek out my current therapist, which has turned out wonderfully. For me, I like it a lot, it really raised my mood and energy level.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
meh

Post by meh »

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I need to get out of this funk I've been in and the Wellbutrin isn't doing squat for me.
my therapist.
Jitterz
Issues: Anxiety, panic disorder, ADD, body image, and depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Jitterz »

I know this was over a year ago but I was wondering how the Abilify worked/is working for you both? My psych just placed me on Abilify today at the lowest dosage (I'm small) and feeling hopeful this medicine will be the one...
"I am trying-I am trying to explore my unconscious wishes and fears, trying to lift the barrier of repression, of self-deception, that controls my everyday self." ~Sylvia Plath
meh

Post by meh »

The good news is it helps minimize my depression.

The bad news is I put on 13 pounds in a year. You really need to watch the weight gain.
my therapist.
Not A Cylon

Post by Not A Cylon »

What is it about abilify that makes one gain weight? Im trying to lose weight right now but I want to see what my doctor thinks about trying abilify to boost my mood / energy level perhaps?
oceans11
Issues: isolating, lonliness, fear of intimacy
preferred pronoun: she

Post by oceans11 »

Abilify really has helped me. It has transformed my life really. It gave me more energy to DO things, and that can help with the weight gain. For me, that's how it worked anyway. IN addition, since I have a hint of BPD, abilify just gives me that second or two to think about my response to someone rather than getting defensive and lashing out.

I am in love with my abilify. I haven't gained weight, but I recently got off Seroquel, which is evil.
kingflippynips
Issues: Bipolar, depression, anxiety, social anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by kingflippynips »

Abilify really has helped me. It has transformed my life really. It gave me more energy to DO things, and that can help with the weight gain. For me, that's how it worked anyway. IN addition, since I have a hint of BPD, abilify just gives me that second or two to think about my response to someone rather than getting defensive and lashing out.

I am in love with my abilify. I haven't gained weight, but I recently got off Seroquel, which is evil.
Just started abilify myself, hoping this is the case for me. So far I've been pretty wiped out and have to compensate with coffee but realize that's probably just adjusting to the medication. According to my psychiatrist it has less side effects than Risperidone which I've been on which is why I've switched. I had a significant weight gain (~10 lbs in 2 months) and still not having much energy day to day.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

When I was on abilify I had to take at night because it made me tired.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”