Life After (Manic?) Psychosis

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Life After (Manic?) Psychosis

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but there isn't a forum for "insanity not otherwise specified" so I'm going with it. :)

Here's the basic problem I'm facing—when you've had the experience of not being able to trust your own brain, how do you move forward from there? And how do you convince people who were around when you were psychotic that you're not psychotic anymore, especially when some of the things you do when you're not psychotic remind them of things you did when you were? (Not sure if that makes sense.)

Basically, I'm having a problem where my partner is now calling everything I do a symptom (either of OCD or psychosis or what-have-you), even something as innocuous as fiddling with my beard or listening to the same song more than once. I'm having to justify every preference I have and explain every last little decision I make, which is especially difficult since she doesn't believe what I say even when I'm able to put into words what's going on in my head.

An example—yesterday, we were going to go for a walk, but I was starving. She was in a hurry, so I grabbed the last bit of a box of cereal, intending to eat it while we walked. Weird, sure, but hardly insane. She didn't like that and took the cereal and put it on top of the refrigerator. As we were discussing it, I grabbed the cereal (because I was still intending to eat it), but as the discussion got more heated, I just caved. However, since I was feeling rushed, rather than turn around and go back to the kitchen, I just stuffed the cereal in my bag and kept walking. Which seemed to her to be some sort of OCD tic that needed to be unpacked, dissected, and explained.

I tried to explain that it wasn't a symptom, I was just in a hurry and didn't want to go back to put it back in the place where she thought it belonged, but she told me that I didn't know my own behavior, that my explanation didn't make sense, and that I was wrong about what I was doing. The result was that I wound up feeling invalidated, permanently broken, and having to second-guess absolutely everything about the way I go through the world.

Has anyone else had this experience or something like it? How do you come back to the world when you've been "away" and how do you deal with the aftermath from the people around you?
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Re: Life After (Manic?) Psychosis

Post by Beany Boo »

It sounds like she is in shock from the previous experience and in shock from the new you. Don't do anything different. Take the knocks. Let her adjust to you over time.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Thanks, Beany. Do you have any tips for keeping her doubts from becoming my doubts? I'm not really really in treatment yet for my bipolar, so there's always a whisper in the back of my head that says, "She's right—you're psychotic again." It's really hard to sort of police my own behavior when I'm so doubtful about whether I'm still in touch with reality or not. I don't want to be too sure of myself, but I don't know how to keep humble yet still function.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Imissmysun »

Howie,

You and your partner would be helped by a mediator someone who speaks and interprets emotional language and can help you navigate after such an intense experience... its got to be so hard to work through those thoughts and its not something that can easily be done alone. I havent had that experience but I know i need help with my feelings and sorting them out.

I think that beany has a really good point people watching a loved one go through what you experienced have a lot of feelings and thoughts to process and im sure she doesn't always even know her anxiety is being trigerred by simple movements you make
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I can only tell you what works for me:

If you feel like you're barreling towards a dire end don't second-guess it; just let it happen and just keep making decisions as you go because at least then you're still steering. Five decisions along you might be headed in a different direction. And if you do doubt or second-guess don't sweat it; just sit tight until you pick up the thread again. No matter how scary it gets, it's still your show; you're the boss of your own game. That means you can keep changing your own mind any way you want.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”