Real Beauty Sketches

Share about body image related issues. To share about physical struggles, i.e. pain, exhaustion, disabilities etc go to the "Physical Struggles" subforum.
MizLzie

Re: Real Beauty Sketches

Post by MizLzie »

I had an interesting reaction to that when I first saw it... My immediate thought was that I would do the opposite. That the me I see in my head is better looking than the reality. You would think having a nicer image in my brain is a good thing, but thinking about what the difference would be hurt a lot. Like, why can't I just see my reality and accept it, instead of trying to "pretty" myself up. :/

It's a good idea, I just had a messed up response.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Real Beauty Sketches

Post by Cheldoll »

Love it! I'm very fond of Dove's ad campaigns lately.
MizLzie wrote:My immediate thought was that I would do the opposite. That the me I see in my head is better looking than the reality.
I'm willing to bet that some of the women thought the same thing. I think it's not so much the you-in-your-head vs the you-in-your-mirror as it is the you-that-you-see vs the you-that-the-rest-of-the-world-sees, if that makes any sense. You're still a harsher critic of yourself than anyone else is so I imagine if you were describing yourself to the artist dude you'd try to stay close to what you think is reality -- which, quite frankly, is probably wrong. The end result from how other people describe you would probably be closer to the image in your head than the one you described yourself.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Body Image”