Unwanted thoughts: memory loss (?) at 40. Belt glue?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
oak

Unwanted thoughts: memory loss (?) at 40. Belt glue?

Post by oak »

Hello!

I am a 40 year old man who struggles with anxiety (physical symptoms: headaches, backaches, chest pains).

Per my doctor, I am otherwise in good health. I don't smoke, drink, or use drugs. I could get more exercise and have more friends, but I have a decent support network and get plenty of sleep.

Problem 1:

Now and then I'll be unable to remember things: what I had for dinner last night, what I did last Saturday afternoon, that person I met name. It is on the tip of my tongue, and I usually think of it a moment later.

Using my words, I've shared my concerns with my family and my doctor, all of whom listen carefully then encourage me not worry.

Worry Level: 2 of 10.

Problem 2: Correlation or Causation?

I've been under a lot of stress lately, take an anxiety medicine, and recently noticed a new belt I was wearing had an obnoxious glue-smell.

"I've been inadvertently huffing glue!!!" my Panic-Brain screams at me. Also, this gem:

"My brain and psyche are destroyed!!!! How will I remember anything!!! I won't be able to make a living!!!!"

Basically, my brain keeps screaming that my intellect is irreparably damaged.

I am worried that I'll start to believe this, even though I really don't believe it.

What should I do? How can I stop that crazy voice in my head? How can I have a better, more realistic view of my mind and potential in life?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Unwanted thoughts: memory loss (?) at 40. Belt glue?

Post by brownblob »

I don't have an answer to how to get rid of these unwanted thoughts. I'm 47 and do have memory loss and I also notice my brain just isn't as sharp or fast as it used to be. I don't share this with anyone, but it does bother me. I used to think of myself as a smart guy, but not so much anymore. I haven't checked my belts to see if I've secretly been huffing. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks Brownblob! I appreciate you.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

When you reach a certain level of hypertension your body escalates into a cycle of needing to control; things that in a calmer state would not need controlling. As long as you're hypertensive your brain is going to reach for anything resembling a source of stress and convince you to expel it. Your intellect gets it is okay, but your more powerful lizard brain is overriding all non-essential functions and repelling all possible threats from its territory until the hypertension drops to acceptable levels.

You probably live with a level of hypertension that is quite high anyway so it wouldn't take much stress to spike you into that fixation mode.

First aid (for me) when I'm in that mode is to moan; almost like I'm having an orgasm. Except I'm not, it's an anxiety-gasm. Moaning and rocking are very affective in acute hypertension; as is running your hands over textured surfaces.

Hypertension comes from not being able to keep others out, having to comply to decisions not your own and becoming confused about what is important in your particular life. How to alleviate general hypertension:

- Say no, at first, to people
- Set stronger boundaries with people who are impinging on you
- Stop trying to get away from who you are (compulsive doing)
- Be consenting, rather than submitting blindly

These are my experiences. If you undo the hypertension, with these kinds of things, you begin to trust your natural instincts and hold to natural limits.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

I found myself moaning, as suggested, in the car tonight, Beany Boo.

Thank you!
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Good job :D
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “Non-OCD UnWanted Thoughts/Desires”