Real Life Horror

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Jose

Real Life Horror

Post by Jose »

Today, two things came out in the news that really upset me. The first is that they released the 911 calls from the day of the Newtown massacre last year. Though I've been hearing it reported all over the web and TV, I have no desire to try to put myself in those helpless victims shoes that day by listening to these calls. I can't help but see it as a media feeding frenzy, using the torturous experience that people went through that day to boost ratings. I do think it's important that these calls be made available to the public, it just really disgusts me how these news organizations seem to be milking this tragedy for all they can get in viewership.

The other thing I read was a more detailed report of what Phillip Chism, the 14 year old murderer did to his teacher Colleen Ritzer before and after killing her…I can't even repeat it here, and I would suggest that no one seek it out if you wish to go about having a pleasant day. It makes me so sick that these vile acts are occurring on the same planet where I live and breathe. I just don't know what to do with this horrific information the media is dishing out to me on a daily basis, where do I put it? What am I supposed to do with this knowledge but seethe with rage for the innocent victims? It fills me up with real hate for the perpetrators of these crimes. There is no such thing as justice when you put a town and a family through something like this. Maybe that's the hardest thing to come to terms with, that life is just unfair and you can always count on the psycho/sociopaths to come along once in awhile and do something totally devastating to those of us who are just trying to do the right thing and live our lives.

I just can't wrap my head around this unspeakable horror that seems to surround us in news reports on a daily basis and I don't know of any solution to stop its effect on me besides completely avoiding the sensationalistic media outlets and trying to live a healthy and sane life myself, which is no small task when you're simply trying to stay informed. I hope that the more I focus on bettering my life and those around me would create a positive influence in the world. Although it can't erase these atrocities, at least it makes room for my brain not to focus on this misery and be a force for good.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Real Life Horror

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Jose,

I too am really negatively affected by these types of horrible news stories. I try to remind myself that these events happen a lot less frequently than people getting directly hit by lightning or winning the big lottery. Also, that dwelling on the negative makes me less present for people near me who may be suffering and who need my help and positivity.

All the best to you, please take care, cheers.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Non-OCD UnWanted Thoughts/Desires”