Anyone else find weekends really hard?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
onlyshallow

Anyone else find weekends really hard?

Post by onlyshallow »

It's probably weird to most people, I guess... TGIF! and all that. Usually folks look forward to not being at work (I get that), but, for me, weekends can be really, really lonely. Especially in the summer, when a lot of friends/family are often away. I'm almost always stoked for the weekend to be over quickly; on Friday night it can feel like a long, lonely time ahead, and that there's no reason to get up on Saturday.... Does anyone else get this, too?

I guess I feel better sharing that.
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Re: Anyone else find weekends really hard?

Post by Fargin »

Know that feeling

For me Sunday is the real killer, Saturday's I've started working out, so at least I get out of the house, but on Sunday's my minimal social life is always very apparent to me.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Post by gfyourself »

Agree. Sunday afternoon/evenings are the worst. Long weekends in some ways are worse than regular weekends except I can spend the first day totally comatose, then treat the rest of the time like a regular weekend.
onlyshallow

Post by onlyshallow »

Thanks for your responses, guys. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way... I'm glad there's a way to connect with other people who get stuff like this without having to explain it too much, and I wish it were easier to do in "real life"!

I hope everyone is getting through the long weekend OK... Hopefully it helps to know we're all in the same, often crappy, boat!
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

My depression & anxiety seem to run on a weekly cycle, with Sunday afternoon & evening the absolute low points most weeks. Sometimes the low point starts early with a feeling of dread when I wake up on Saturday morning. The things that I find make at least some difference for me are to shower and change into actual clothes (not stay in the t-shirt or pajamas I slept in too long), make a list of small tasks to accomplish and check them off, get some exercise, get out of the house for at least part of the day, and don't overschedule too many tasks and social events. Some bad days none of that works and I'll spend an entire Saturday or Sunday accomplishing little. I sometimes think of that song (I think it's Morrissey) with the lyrics "Every day feels like Sunday, every day is silent and gray". I don't know if it's actually about depression but it conveys the mood I feel some days, especially on weekends.

Just another passenger on the crappy boat on this long weekend ;)
Anonymost

Post by Anonymost »

Yeah me too.
And for the same reason, lack of social interaction.
Ever since I moved out on my own few years ago , my depression has gotten worse. But that is also what prompted me to get help ( go to therapy) so I suppose it was a blessing in disguise. Kinda.
Maybe humans are not designed to spend so much time isolated. A weekend, that's two full days on your own or with limited contact with others. That's pretty shit.
Anyway. The ideas about going out of the house etc is a good one. Even if it just to run errands, go to gym it does help to 'contact' other people even if it is just brief, superficial etc. sounds pretty sad I know. But sometimes I feel better being out and about, feeding off the atmosphere at the gym/pool. It is better than nothing.
But there are times when I can't face the world, can't get out of the house until maybe it's dark outside and I've run out of food. I feel like a vampire sometimes. For some reason it is easier to go out when it is dark and already day mostly gone, I don't know why. Maybe because I can't be 'seen' properly? Hmm
Anyway. I feel better knowing that others feel the same about weekends. I will be thinking of that this weekend when I lie on the couch watching to shows. Or maybe I will venture out a bit. Either way I won't judge myself.
onlyshallow

Post by onlyshallow »

Thanks to you two for your responses as well :)

I think the part about not judging ourselves too harshly if we can't get our shit together to be social on the weekends--or can't face it, or just don't want to--is really good. I think it's really easy to isolate, or, as people who like being alone a lot, to round down our social needs to zero but maybe that's not always the case.

I've been managing better (especially on lonely weekends) by using the HALT acronym when I'm freaking out but can't figure out why: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired....and sometimes it CAN be loneliness that's wrong, which I think shocked me a bit. Maybe that's helpful for someone else.

Anyhow, I hear all of you, and it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'll be thinking about all of us this weekend, doing our best.
useless weakling
preferred pronoun: whatever

Post by useless weakling »

Weekends are the worst, they've always been the worst. What the hell am I supposed to do with myself on a weekend?

I'm unemployed and looking for a job right now. I really want to get a job where I work weekends, preferably long hours on weekends.
dave
Issues: Anxiety, OCD, Depression, Tourette's
preferred pronoun: he

Post by dave »

Me too.

i was in boarding school during high school years. I had a brief depression in grade 10 and feared the weekends because hardly any other kids were around.

As an adult weekends are often kind of empty. For many years I went swing dancing on weekend nights. (that is a pretty darn good anti-depressant, by the way) but these days I often don't feel like it, so I'm well familiar with the solitary saturday night syndrome.
TCBwithBPD
Issues: depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, alcoholic father
preferred pronoun: she

Post by TCBwithBPD »

Weekends terrify me. I don't even have a job, so all the days should feel the same, but I hate Saturday and Sunday. I know this will sound awful, but I'm trying to be ruthlessly truthful -- the reason I hate the weekends is that I know that I will not get any time away from my husband. I don't want to get into a bunch of stuff no one cares about, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone.

Theresa

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”